Monday, August 3, 2015

LIVE Raw thoughts - August 3, 2015

8:40 - Really great match and an excellent example of how you can make somebody look great in losing and make the heel retain a title without having to cheat or look weak.  Neville had the match "won" on numerous occasions, but Rollins found a way out of the situation through fair means.  Great stuff.

8:23 - While I liked the concept here, I didn't love the fact that it took so long for somebody to accept the challenge.  Wouldn't somebody under 6' and less than 200 pounds -- theoretically, somebody who typically doesn't get a shot at the World title -- jump at the opportunity to accept this challenge?  Clearly they must have known about these restrictions, otherwise the whole roster would have run out.

8:18 - Surprising that they had Rollins issue the "winner take all" challenge without any notion that he's just taking advantage of a weakened Cena.  Not a complaint, just an observation.

8:08 - Really great and touching tribute video to Piper.  And I'm glad they didn't completely overlook the Hogan connection.  Very well done.

7:46 - Obviously, the big news in the wrestling world is the death of legend Rowdy Roddy Piper.  Indeed, this is terribly sad news.  As I indicated on Twitter, while Piper is best known as a villainous heel, I grew up with him as a babyface commentator, and some of my fondest memories include him (and Savage) saving Hogan from the Undertaker on the Funeral Parlor, urging Randy Savage to propose to Elizabeth, avenging Bret Hart and defeating the Mountie for the Intercontinental Championship, coming to the defense of Virgil after being mistreated by Ted DiBiase, feuding with Ric Flair, and being a generally bombastic personality.  I was actually refreshed when he turned heel in the late 90's in WCW, because I've ONLY seen him as a hero.  I would later become frustrated when practically every one of his WWE returns saw him perform as a heel, because, to me, that wasn't Piper's legacy.  He wasn't the perpetual villain.  He was a lovable guy.  I'm glad he had the fans on his side for his last few appearances.  Rest in peace, Roddy.  You were a legend.

No comments: