Saturday, January 22, 2011

Top Ten Cases: WWE 2010 Year-End Awards - Most Entertaining Announce Team


Realizing that I offered 10 categories for you to vote on for my Year-End Awards, I thought instead of revealing the results in one exceptionally long post, I'd draw it out over 10 days in the latest edition of Top Ten Cases. Today, I reveal my pick (and your vote) for the Most Entertaining Announce Team.

My Pick: Michael Cole and Josh Matthews (NXT)
Finally, we strongly disagree on something!

Michael Cole has been the definition of a polarizing figure over the past year. There are some, like myself, that like him. There are others – the vast majority, I’d venture to say – that find him absolutely unbearable. Personally, I don’t have a problem with his heelish character. As a straight up play by play man, he was never going to live up to Jim Ross. By playing a character (one that was possibly closer to his actual personality, I don’t know), he was able to differentiate himself, arguably making the comparisons to Ross an “apples and oranges” thing. Further, I never bought into that criticism that the play by play person is supposed to be the voice of reason – the person who is speaking to the audience. When was the last time any of us took an announcer seriously? When Michael Cole (or any other person) touts an event or match as the biggest ever, did we ever truly take their word for it? They’re salespeople, not a trusted friend. If the play by play person sells the story better as a heel, what difference does it make (whether he succeeds is a matter of personal opinion)?

Having said that, I don’t think this “personality” meshes well with Jerry Lawler (who I do find pretty unbearable). Much of the time it feels like these two are having completely separate conversations that have no sense of cohesion. And it really just sounds like they’re trying to get themselves over. “King, that Daniel Bryan is a nerd!” “Oh yeah, well Hornswoggle’s socks are taller than him!” Their interactions can be rather dreadful.

On the other hand, I thought he worked phenomenally one on one with Josh Matthews, particularly during NXT’s third season. Throughout season one, I commended the Pros for refining their personalities because it seemed like the front office wasn’t watching them under a microscope and scripting their every word (especially Chris Jericho and CM Punk). For the third season, this seemed to be true with Cole and Matthews. When they seemingly stopped caring and just started ripping the show apart, it became – in my opinion – probably the most entertaining season yet (it also helped that AJ and Naomi could back it up in the ring). Without the cute girls and Cole’s commentary, I have been unable to watch season four. It has been THAT much of a drop down in quality.

Quite simply, Matthews reacted to Cole in a realistic, logical way. Whereas Lawler would brush off Cole’s comments in order to set up his own joke, Matthews would call Cole out, or maybe even laugh at something that was legitimately funny. They seemed to have a “real” relationship – there was hostility and tension, but not to a cartoonish level. Despite arguing a lot, they seemed like they were actual friends. And quite honestly, that’s not a combination we’ve really seen in WWE. The closest I can recall is JR and Lawler, before the latter officially turned face. These interactions also gave birth to the Michael Cole character we see every week on Raw. And like him or hate him, he plays a pretty critical role.

I think Michael Cole and Josh Matthews have earned this award because they not only made NXT watchable, they made it highly entertaining.

What you said – Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, and CM Punk (Raw)
This short-lived three man team was the overwhelming favorite, earning almost 90% of the votes. Don’t get me wrong, I did think this was a great team, but the main reason why I didn’t give it the nod was because it only lasted a few weeks. And Jerry Lawler stuck out like a sore thumb. Nonetheless, CM Punk was absolute gold, and when he retires he’ll ease perfectly into the role that I wish JBL never left. Plus, I thought he and Cole worked together very well, both playing tweener characters (Cole was anti-Daniel Bryan, while CM Punk constantly sang his praises. Yet Cole was pro-Cena, while Punk ironically defended Wade Barrett). Had it lasted longer, I may very well have leaned in a different direction (for what it’s worth, the reason I didn’t include Cole/Matthews/Punk in this list was because it was a one off deal. I think those three had HUGE potential together).


Check back tomorrow to find out the most shocking event of 2010.



No comments: