Sunday, July 18, 2010

Money in the Bank thoughts

I'm back from my camping trip, which was a lot of fun but very tiring, so I thought I'd post some quick thoughts on tonight's Money in the Bank PPV. I won't be ordering the show, but I'm mildly interested in what they have planned.

I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to see one of two things happen (or maybe even both). I'm hoping that they'll think outside the box here. I'd love for them to fully put their faith behind somebody new, and have that person win the briefcase. Then have that Superstar state that they're holding onto the briefcase so that he can main event WrestleMania for the first time in his career. And then actually go through with the stipulation. Somebody like Kofi Kingston would fit that role perfectly. It'll also add some intrigue to the Royal Rumble match, because the victorious Superstar wouldn't have his choice of champion for the first time since the brand extension. Or, they could create an interesting argument of which stipulation carries more weight.

Secondly, I'd like to see one of the winning Superstars NOT succeed in winning the title. I think having the briefcase holder win the title thus far has been extremely wise. It was the nudge Superstars like Edge, CM Punk, and RVD needed to finally break through to legitimate main eventers. It's also genuinely legitimized the Money in the Bank match at WrestleMania. But now, it's become such a foregone assumption that the MITB winner will capture the title that a lot of the allure is gone. In order to save face, why not have a fan favorite choose to cash in the briefcase on the up and up -- such as the next PPV -- only to come up short in a very competitive match (guys like Evan Bourne, John Morrison, Christian, or even Kofi Kingston could fit that role).

I'm not sure I even have any prediction, but I do have a feeling about a few things. If Edge wins the MITB match, I see him cashing in that night, and winning the title. I could see the same thing POSSIBLY happening with Miz, depending on how saucy they feel.

On the Smackdown side, I think Kofi Kingston is the most likely candidate, but -- like many others -- I do have a bad feeling about Drew McIntyre taking home the gold (and in a creepy way, I could even see HIM cashing in the opportunity that night and winning the title, to further his feud with Long). Of course, I'll be rooting for Christian, but I think that might be a long shot.


No comments: