Monday, December 13, 2010

LIVE Raw thoughts (Slammy Edition)

11:10 - So I wasn't completely off the mark on Nexus turning on Otunga. However, the ending to this match made me realize that a Chairs match is probably the least enjoyable of any match being offered on Sunday (for the competitors, anyway). There's very little give with a steel chair, and with the competitors not allowed to hit each other in the head (something I agree with), there's not really a chairshot that'll truly excite the audience. In many ways it's a no win situation.

But I did love Punk saying, "Stay down David!"

11:00 - I don't have a problem with Cena winning Superstar of the Year. If this recent angle with Wade Barrett showed anything, it's how immensely over John Cena truly is.

10:41 - Bravo to David Arquette for taking a powerbomb through a table. Apparently David Arquette donated 100% of the money he made during his time with WCW to Owen Hart's widow (or perhaps it was Pillman's widow), so as far as I'm concerned he's a stand up guy.

10:29 - Glad to see HBK win. And once again, a wonderful video package for the nominees.

10:24 - CM Punk looks like Abe from Clone High.

10:14 - Edge's wrist bands don't match (one is the classic Rated R Superstar logo, the other one is the "sleazy" one) and it bothers me.

10:06 - Divas Tables Match? Interesting idea. They at least seem to be doing more with the TLC gimmick this year than they did last year.

10:04 - Quite honestly, LayCool does deserve the Divas of the Year award. But did they forget to turn Melina heel?

9:46 - I find it interesting that Raw gets the ladder match, table match, and chair match. Or is Mysterio/Del Rio a chair match also?

9:43 - I liked Sheamus' leather crown more. It was something different and unique.

9:39 - Isn't it a conflict of interest for Edge to be presenting for an award in which he's a nominee? Also, Edge needs to grow his crazy beard back. And bring back the sunglasses.

9:38 - EDGE AND CHRISTIAN REUNION!!!! YAY!!!

9:29 - A bit surreal seeing Punk assist Mysterio (by preventing Cole from interfering), eh?

9:21 - We missed out on a great opportunity to see Miz/Kane vs. Rated RKO tonight. Too bad.

9:19 - Awesome that they got the girl to actually appear. Cool for her. And actually, after hearing Miz's accolades for the year (WWE, US, Tag Team title holder, and Money in the Bank winner), he actually is pretty deserving of the Slammy.

9:15 - I always have a little more respect for the celebrities that are willing to make themselves heels. Oh, and Miz girl is totally winning this.

9:09 - So where were all of those Cena allies when Nexus attacked him? Also, I loved Otunga's sly smile when Barrett announced the match, knowing full well what the Nexus leader was up to.

9:05 - I'm guessing that Barrett rehires Cena, and Nexus turns on Otunga.

9:01 - I have to admit, Randy Orton should have won that last Slammy for that awesome RKO on Evan Bourne. Also, Vickie Guerrero has some immensely thick skin -- it's amazing she OK's all of these weight jokes, especially since she HAS lost a considerable amount of weight. Good for her for slimming down to a healthier weight.

8:46 - I'm going to have to agree with the popular opinion that Shatner was robbed. And man, how long was Pee Wee's acceptance speech? I also enjoyed the continued dissension between Nexus, however I think it would have been a nice touch by having Otunga and crew wearing a different Nexus t-shirt. It would have shown the division.

8:30 - Oh, I also loved Punk's big hug to Cole, and yelling "Tyson! I did it!" as he ran up the ramp.

8:24 - Still getting used to Punk without the mustache, but it was great seeing him with an open mic, uninterrupted, for an extended period of time. So.....who do you think he was talking about?

8:15 - I honestly don't know who should win Superstar of the Year. The Miz is the easy option, but I'm not really sure. 2010 was undoubtedly the Miz's year....but was it the year of the Miz? That is to say, this past year was the best year of his career, but when we look back at 2010 as a whole, is the Miz the person we'll be thinking of? Perhaps he is, I'm not sure. I just don't think it's as much of a foregone conclusion as we may think. Even though I don't particularly like him, a strong argument could be made for Randy Orton.

8:09 - I was glad to see Nexus win the Most Shocking Moment, because it truly was. Could anybody have expected that the rookies from season one of NXT would go on to become the focal point of the flagship program for the latter half of 2010? And those nominee videos are pretty damn sleek, too.

8:01 - Clever idea promoting the show as the Slammy Awards, instead of a typical Raw. I like. Although Punk ditched the mustache, which bothers me.


No comments: