Monday, February 21, 2011

LIVE Raw thoughts

11:09 - Tell me if I missed any, but individuals Cena has held the tag team championship with while feuding with them: Shawn Michaels, Batista, David Otunga, the Miz. Actually, has EVERY one of Cena's tag title reigns been with somebody that he's feuding with?

10:51 - That ended very abruptly. I do have to wonder why they gave the Corre the titles if they're just dropping it tonight, though. As Santino and Kozlov were already a comedy duo, they don't suffer from getting squashed by two main eventers. The Corre (and the New Nexus, for that matter) are walking a very fine line where each major loss knocks them down a peg or two in the eyes of the fans.

10:43 - Overall, I'm not really a fan of this Cole/Lawler thing, because if nothing else, it shows how effectively you can build up a feud if you are willing to devote the proper amount of time and attention -- and they used this time on two of their announcers instead of one of the many floundering, talented Superstars. But, if nothing else, at least this will provide the resolution. But what do you do with the Raw announce team leading up to WrestleMania? Or at WrestleMania? Or following WrestleMania?

10:34 - Wow, the audience immediately lit up when Cole brought up Lawler's deceased mom. Uncomfortable.

10:27 - I think Hacksaw Jim Duggan is a fine and deserving addition to the WWE Hall of Fame.

10:23 - At the very least, it looks like this Sheamus loss could lead to a WrestleMania feud with Daniel Bryan, which I think could work.

10:21 - Okay, now I'm starting to believe there's something to this Sheamus burial thing. That was....unexpected.

10:13 - This was unfortunately awkward booking, though. Triple H just made his return after almost a year's absence, after being sent to the injured list by Sheamus. Sheamus is featured in the very next segment and doesn't even acknowledge Triple H's return?

10:08 - Okay, to be fair, I think Triple H's entrance was longer than Taker's.

That was quite an interesting segment, but I have to say that I enjoyed it. Say what you will about Triple H and the Undertaker, but these two are completely devoted to their craft. They NEVER break character, no matter the circumstances, and that's exactly why they can make a lot of moments work that many others would struggle with.

And while Undertaker vs. Triple H won't necessarily be as sound as Taker/HBK, it does have a decidedly epic feel to it. As both a character and a backstage influence, Triple H is one of the only people that many fans legitimately believe could defeat Taker at WrestleMania. And even though I'm not a huge fan of the guy, Triple H has been gone for nearly a year, and he's a lot more bearable now than he has been in a long time. If he's sticking around for the long term, though, he desperately needs to turn heel (after settling things with Sheamus, anyway).

10:00 - Ha, so I'm guessing that massive Undertaker symbol gave it away for the live audience.

9:52 - By the way, how about Cole and Matthews making the same exact joke about JR and Lawler during the Washington vs. Lincoln animation?

Also, it seems abundantly obvious that 2/21/11 refers to the Undertaker, which I am fine with, as that's what I assumed before all of these Sting rumors began. But here's what I'm wondering: How long do you think his entrance will be? Over/under 10 minutes, starting at the end of the 2/21/11 countdown?

9:50 - I like the unique look of the WWE All Stars game. Again, visually it offers something different. That's also why I like those new Rumblers figures!

9:34 - On top of winning the Royal Rumble, Alberto Del Rio is also simultaneously feuding with three people -- all either upper midcarders or main eventers -- in Edge, Christian, and Kofi Kingston. Not too shabby.

9:28 - There's something deliciously heelish about calling somebody by a version of somebody's name that isn't familiar to the audience (like "Randall" instead of "Randy"). I'll admit, I actually would have rather seen Cena/Punk at 'Mania (unless that meant we would see Orton vs. Miz AGAIN), but I'm willing to see where this Punk/Orton thing goes. I just find Orton unbearably uninteresting.

And has anyone else found it odd that we've only had one Hall of Fame inductee announcement? Don't we typically know practically the entire class by now?

9:24 - For what it's worth, I still miss Punk's crazy beard.

9:21 - What are the chances that the majority of Internet fans STILL think John Cena looked like a lame tool in that promo?

9:14 - So, what did everybody think? I have to admit, I was initially worried. I thought John Cena would laugh it off and say he's not going to comment on it. Naturally, that would just be part of the build, but it would have made Cena look like a genuine chump. What ended up happening was actually very similar to what I had suggested in a prior post. Cena showed some edge -- a surprising amount, actually -- and brought up many of the things I had hoped he would. Rock makes fun of Cena for being lame, while doing Disney children movies. He kisses up to the fans, yet he did leave them high and dry. And he is making a name for himself (to the current audience) off of the hostility towards John Cena, while he's merely the host of the show. I was actually really impressed, with decidedly un-PG comments like "blow me" and "polish my balls," and I think the audience ate it up. Was it as electrifying as Rock's promo? Of course not, but it never could have been due to the inherent circumstances.

Of course, I would have done a few things a little differently. I would have had Cena reveal his padlock and chain instead of his dogtags. And I would have suggested Cena turn the hat backwards or something. Aesthetically, he looked very much like the John Cena that many fans are turned off by. But overall, I'm impressed and pleased.

9:02 - Or do the opposite, and start off with Cena...

8:59 - As we prepare for tonight's show, here are some pre-show thoughts: I hope they're smart and save Cena's response for the end of the show. People -- even non-Cena fans -- are legitimately anticipating what he's going to say/do. Hold that off. Don't even feature him on the show til he appears. Kick off the show with Miz, have Rock interrupt, have the 2/21/11 resolution at the 10:00 hour, and end it with Cena.


4 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

Yup. Those are the 4 tag title reigns.

I'd like to see them have top guys feuding for the tag titles again and act like they mean something. Some of my favorite matches and moments have been tag teams fighting for the tag titles, but WWE usually goes through spurts where they suddenly stop caring and throw them onto a random joke team before they go back to having top guys (doesn't even need to be main eventers, upper midcarders work too) going after them. It's a good way to give someone a push (the "lesser" guy in the tag team can get a boost by associating himself with his partner or their opponents), it's a good way to segue into a one on one feud while allowing the guys to fight each other and yet not giving away the match (see: An awful lot of WWE's feuds lately where they give away the matches on free TV, even if it's short or has a screwjob finish...it's still giving away the match and you lose out on the novelty of it).

I'm not saying it has to be these guys or anything, but imagine a tag title feud with Morrison and Bryan teaming up against, say, Punk and Mason Ryan (I was going to say Sheamus and somebody, but damn, I can't find a single midcard heel that would fit what I'm getting at now that DiBiase has been so thoroughly squashed). You'd make the tag titles look much better, you'd make people actually care about them, you'd boost Danielson and Ryan simply by being involved with Morrison and Punk (and Ryan in particular would probably get a huge boost when the bump machine Daniel Bryan sells for him). Plus you'd get a great match out of it. Obviously Wrestlemania isn't the time to do that, but they've been doing nothing with Danielson and Ryan, Morrison currently has nothing to do (although he's a favorite to win Money in the Bank...but this could tide him over even if he does win it), and once Punk and Orton is blown off, well, you already gave away Punk/Cena on free TV. It's something I'd love to see, much more than "joke tag team (and I LIKE Santino and Kozlov, but they're a comedy team) fights the two Corre guys people care about the least".

/rant

Incidently I liked the Cena thing. I wish we could see that Cena more. I get it, PG, blah blah, but I miss that Cena. He's entertaining. The "never give up" promos just don't entertain me, especially not after the 1000th one.

Kyle Litke said...

Oh, I forgot to point out that doing Morrison/Bryan (or someone like Bourne...just please not R Truth) VS Punk/Ryan would also allow you to segue into Morrison/Punk without immediately throwing them into one on one matches and blowing them off in a couple months, forcing them to have Punk face Cena and Orton again because he already blew off the Morrison feud and they don't have any faces left.

The tag titles can be really important if they're allowed to be. I remember back in 2001 when Benoit and Jericho beat HHH and Austin for the tag titles. The place went crazy and those two looked great as a result. Was anyone sitting there saying "Oh, it's only the tag titles, not like they won the world title..."? No, because the tag titles by that point were made to look really important.

Just a thought.

Matt Basilo said...

The tag team title scene baffles me. I'm not surprised that it's not a priority, but I find it incredibly odd that there's seemingly no thought going into it whatsoever. For example, you have the Hart Dynasty, who were pushed strong as a legitimate tag team. They suddenly break up, and what's the result? Instead of teaming with Tyson Kidd as a tag team champion on Raw and Smackdown, DH Smith goes to teaming with Yoshi Tatsu (?????) on Superstars. And Kidd is in no better position, really.

And then you have the Usos, another team who could be pushed strong (they have the lineage to immediately get over with the audience), yet they're jobbed out to comedy pairings like Santino and Kozlov and Khali and Henry.

If they don't want to focus on ACTUAL teams, why not take the Morrison/Miz route? These guys were close to getting released before pairing together and creating magic. Take some of the guys who are struggling on their own and see what they can do together.

Matt Basilo said...

Actually, come to think of it, why not put Husky Harris and DiBiase together? Nexus is struggling (I wouldn't mind if they kept Punk and Mason together, though), and DiBiase is beyond floundering. They can even do something cute with the name, like they love doing, considering their heritage. Maybe "Nepotism" or "Trust Tax" or "Inheritance." You get the picture.