Sunday, January 29, 2012

Royal Rumble Predictions

Tonight marks my favorite specialty PPV of the year, the Royal Rumble. Incidentally, this is one of only two PPVs I am guaranteed to buy throughout the year (I think you all know what the other one is). The past few years, I think WWE has done a fantastic job of providing us with surprising and/or deserving winners. Until about 2002 or 2003, the winners of this event were so predictable and, dare I say, anticlimatic. It always seemed to be either the biggest star of the match, or somebody who has main evented WrestleMania numerous times in the past. After Benoit won, they seemed to return to my favorite formula by giving the win to a credible talent who needed that extra push to get to the next level. Yes, multi-time champions like Edge and John Cena also won in the past few years, but it was a fun surprise and they were also first time winners. And might I add, there were some great storylines going on throughout these matches as well.


I'm not particularly good at predicting the winner, but smart money is on Jericho or Orton. I'm rooting for Jericho, in that scenario, of course. Here are some other predictions, though:

Both Punk and Bryan retain. Bryan (but not Punk) enters the Rumble. He makes it to the final 4, but doesn't win. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Big Show, Randy Orton, or Sheamus eliminate him.

The Rumble also usually has a few milestones. The person who will eliminate a bunch of guys will probably either be Sheamus or Brodus Clay. The Marathon Man (the person who lasts the longest in the match) will probably be either Miz, Cody Rhodes, or Dolph Ziggler.

Surprise Entrants will likely include (and I didn't read spoilers, so don't let me know if anybody has been confirmed): Christian, Rey Mysterio, Kevin Nash, Goldust, Sin Cara (not necessarily the actual person, but the character) Hacksaw Jim Duggan, and possibly the Undertaker.

And Kofi Kingston will have some awesome new trunks. Have you guys seen his Riddler pair? Why is he wasting those on Superstars?

Oh, and one thing I do hope: That Kane participates! The guy has been in 13 consecutive Rumbles. Why end that awesome streak?

So, what does everybody think will happen at tonight's event?

Also, check back later tonight. I will be doing a LIVE thoughts blog post for the show.

4 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

I was thinking Jericho for awhile, but I'm less sure now because I feel like they might do Punk VS Ace at Elimination Chamber. If that's the case, they could have Jericho win a #1 contender EC match and have a SD guy win the Rumble. Or, Punk could drop the title to Ziggler and then Jericho wins it at EC.

I expect Bryan to retain, although I don't really expect him to leave EC as champ...I'd like to see that though. I also do expect Punk to retain, although Ziggler winning and then dropping it to Punk or Jericho at EC would work too.

Surprise entrants: Could see Animal with the Johnny Ace connection. Road Dogg wouldn't surprise me since he showed up recently at the Slammies...he'd get a good pop and wouldn't be expected to stick around. X-Pac wouldn't shock me, although I'm not sure with the recent arrest...I believe he's in St. Louis according to his Twitter. Goldust seems likely, especially if they have plans for Cody VS Goldust at WM. I'm actually surprised they haven't brought DDP in for a one off Rumble appearance yet ala Nash and Booker last year, since they had him hosting the Best of Nitro DVD and all.

As for Cena VS Kane, I just hope we get SOME lasting change with Cena. Whether it's a heel turn or an edgier, more serious Cena, I just do not want the match to end with Kane insisting Cena give into the hate and Cena heroically standing up for what is right and beating Kane without any anger or anything and then he'll tell jokes about poopy.

Kyle Litke said...

Also I don't expect Rey. No spoilers because I don't know any, but they've pretty consistently been saying Rey MIGHT be back for Wrestlemania, and I don't think he's exactly a "Edge/Cena" situation, since he's not exactly likely to win and he's not so big that a return would be incredibly shocking. Could definitely see Christian though, and maybe Del Rio.

I doubt Undertaker as well. He's been gone since WM, if he comes back and wins it he's forced into a title match at WM (which he'd then presumably have to win, weird for a part timer like that). If he comes back and loses I think you lose a little of the mystique.

Should be good, I'm going to be watching it. I probably won't post on here since I won't have my computer, but I'll read your thoughts and tweet if I have anything to say.

Matt Basilo said...

Good call on Road Dogg. I thought about X-Pac as an option too, but wasn't sure what his relationship with WWE was like. I thought about DDP too, but since he's so rarely mentioned or included in video pieces, I didn't know if the current audience would even really recognize him.

Regarding Undertaker, I guess it is unlikely that he'll actually be part of the Rumble, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an appearance of some sort.

Regarding Daniel Bryan being World Heavyweight Champion going into Mania, when his reign began I would have agreed with you. Now he seems to be in the same boat as Miz was last year, where there isn't necessarily a better option. Like last year, the match will probably be built around the challenger, and not the champion.

Kyle Litke said...

The thing for me with Bryan is it doesn't seem like they have any interest of really putting him over someone, and I don't see how he can win an EC without that. He could win tonight by escaping the cage when Show and Henry knock each other out. And if Punk retains and actually does defend the title in the EC, I don't see both champions retaining and Punk is the obvious choice to keep the title.

I believe X-Pac is on good terms with WWE. I'm not positive, but I seem to recall him implying they're on good terms on Twitter. I believe he was interviewed for a WWE Network show too. I'm not sure though with the recent arrest if something changed, but I remember he was supposed to host some pre Rumble party and suddenly a few weeks ago he cancelled it and wouldn't say why...it made me think at the time he might be a surprise in the Rumble, and now he's saying he's in St. Louis. Doesn't mean he'll be in it, he could just be visiting or could just be there anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Undertaker's the wild card in the whole WM equation because I'm not actually convinced he faces HHH. It seemed obvious a couple months ago and still seems possible but when I actually sit and think about it, I'm not sure what you use to sell that match as anything other than a repeat of last year. Shawn was different, it was a streak VS retirement match the second time, but I can't see HHH retiring right now. If he does then sure, but that doesn't seem likely to me, and if it's just going to be another "Streak" match, is it really worth doing HHH/Undertaker for the third time, and twice in back to back years? If HHH/Undertaker isn't the plan, then everything is thrown off, because all of a sudden, his opponent is more likely to be either Jericho or Punk, which not only takes that match out of the equation, but could mean Ziggler could not only win the title tonight but actually enter WM as champ, whether he gets a rematch VS Punk or whether he's facing someone like a returning Rey Mysterio (or even someone like Orton or Sheamus if they won the Rumble, since technically the Rumble winner can choose which title they go for, something WWE virtually never utilizes...they always tease it but the wrestler almost always picks the guy from "his" show).

My assumption right now is still that the top matches are Cena/Rock, HHH/Undertaker, Punk/Jericho, and then probably Orton/Bryan with maybe Barrett and/or Sheamus thrown in for a triple threat/four way match. But if the plan isn't to go with HHH/Undertaker again, everything but Cena/Rock could change.