Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rest In Peace, Paul Bearer

http://www.wwe.com/inside/paul-bearer-passes-26096670

WWE has just announced that legendary manager Paul Bearer passed away earlier tonight.  Every long-time wrestling fan has memories of Paul Bearer.  His cartoonish mannerisms and high pitched voice are instantly recognizable.  This is an unfortunate day for wrestling fans -- and a truly devastating one for his family and friends.  The wrestling world lost a legend and a passionate performer.

For those of you who don't remember (or were never aware), last July I had a bit of a one way Twitter feud with Paul Bearer (READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE).  Quite honestly, I still don't know what the hell was wrong with Bearer that day, or why he blocked me, but I came to hear from other users that he was quite rude and disrespectful to them as well.  I won't pretend to understand or defend his actions, but after reading the news of Bearer's death I took it upon myself to check his Twitter page (as somebody used his Twitter handle while offering condolences), and I realized for the first time that I was now able to view his page.  Which means, in my head, that Bearer had unblocked me prior to his death.  Which, as far as I'm concerned, means that I should hold no ill will towards him.

Paul Bearer, you were an absolutely legendary performer (I was pretty shocked when Scott Keith indicated that he didn't think he was Hall of Fame worthy) and you absolutely played a crucial part in getting over perhaps the greatest gimmick in wrestling history.  Your contributions to this unusual form of entertainment we all enjoy are immeasurable.  I wish you peace and happiness in the afterlife.

No comments: