Thursday, April 22, 2010

WWE Releases


So WWE.com recently announced, rather shockingly, the release of two Divas and four Superstars. The guilty parties are Mickie James, Katie Lea Burchill, Shelton Benjamin, Slam Master J, Kung Fu Naki, and Jimmy Wang Yang. I can't say I'm particularly surprised about Katie Lea, Slam Master J, Kung Fu Naki, and Jimmy Wang Yang -- personalities that are rarely used, and when they are it's usually as fodder -- but Shelton Benjamin and especially Mickie James come as a real shock.

It goes without saying that I'd hate to ever see anybody lose their jobs, but I have to think there are countless Superstars and Divas that are more disposable than these two. Of course, I recognize that it's a lot more complicated than that -- you have to consider salaries and deals and incentives and backstage relationships and everything, but still. Mickie James has always been featured very prominently on Raw and Smackdown, and is typically either the champion or top challenger. She's also very over, and has the talent to back it up in the ring.

I mean, she's gotta be higher on the pecking order than Gail Kim, Alicia Fox, or Jillian. Hell, Jillian has won, I believe, two matches in her entire WWE career (ironically, both against Mickie James). All three of those Divas are talented, but they're basically jobbers. What's the deal here?

The only thing I can think of is that there's something to Maria's claim that WWE doesn't want you doing outside projects. Mickie James has a country album about to be released. But I'm surprised they let her go considering her past ties with TNA.

Shelton Benjamin, in my view, they likely have decided they've given him enough chances but he just didn't pan out. But, again, compare him to some others. How about Mike Knox? Carlito? Primo? Those Dudebusters ass clowns?

More than anything, I'm surprised these people were released before the Draft. Why not keep them around for a week, if only to build tension for possible trades?


UPDATE (11:00 PM) -
I guess I wasn't too far off the mark, as WWE.com just announced that Mike Knox has been released as well.


No comments: