Sunday, August 31, 2008

This means war

I came across this story today, and while I can't vouch for its validity, I felt compelled to comment on it nonetheless. Apparently TNA (the default #2 U.S. wrestling company) threatened to sue UFC over one of their contenders, Jon Koppenhaver, using the nickname "The War Machine." As it happens, TNA has a trademark on that name, which they use for Rhino (of ECW fame).

As a result, evidently Koppenhaver decided to pull a "Warrior" (fittingly), and legally changed his name to "War Machine." He also had this to say:

Subject: Funny ass shit!

SO in case you didn’t notice in my last fight the UFC did NOT use my nickname when I fought. Turns out some gay ass wrestling federation threatened to sue them because they recently named one of their wrestlers The War Machine Rhino and trademarked the name.

Too fuckin’ bad that I have been using this name for 6 years, have it tatted on my body and it is what my fans yell out when I’m fighting.

If you know my personality then you know damn well I am not gonna let some faggot ass, FAKE wrestler steal MY name..SO 6 weeks ago I filed a change of name request and today I had court to make my name officially WAR MACHINE.

lol

Fuckin’ funny right? Didn’t really wanna have to do it but I am sure as hell not lose MY nickname.

Time for a nap.

WM


First off, I don't care how tough you are and how many people you've beaten up, turn in your damn man card for using "LOL."

And what year are we in, exactly? Do people honestly still call out wrestling for being fake and act as if they're making some earth shattering revelation. And I am going to have to take the wrestling fan stance here and clarify that wrestling isn't "fake," it's predetermined. By no means am I trying to compare what happens in WWE or TNA to the action occurring in UFC (that's comparing apples and oranges, really), but when somebody gets thrown off of a 15 foot ladder onto a stack of tables, most people fail to realize that those are real tables. And that's a real fall. And those steel chairs they're getting hit in the head with? Yep, those are real also. It's just plain ignorant to completely disregard what great athletes some of these wrestlers are, many of whom have found great success in the Olympics, the NFL, and yes, even MMA.

And, Mr. Machine, you know what IS real about TNA? That trademark they have on the "War Machine" nickname.

No comments: