Monday, January 24, 2011

LIVE Raw thoughts

11:02 - Cena was borderline heelish tonight. Screwing over Punk and Barrett was fine, but weaseling them both out of the Rumble seemed cowardly. As was his complaining when things didn't work out.

11:00 - No way this stands. Methinks the GM interrupts.

10:59 - I hated that Barrett fake pin. Why would Punk ever be down that long following a suplex?

10:58 - I kinda like the way they're having Cena outsmart his enemies. Pushing Punk and slapping Barrett, and then threatening to DQ both if they retaliate. Pretty clever.

10:55 - If that pre-commercial backstage segment was accurate, am I to believe that Cena took off his t-shirt, put on the ref shirt, put the t-shirt back on, just so he could take it off again?

10:52 - By the way, I do plan on ordering the Royal Rumble this Sunday, so maybe I'll do my LIVE thoughts for that show as well.

10:42 - Okay, at least we'll get a Rated RKO reunion on Smackdown.

10:38 - By the way, check back immediately after Raw for my Top Ten Cases pick for the Superstar who will hold a World Championship for the first time.

10:25 - Okay, so we didn't see Edge go over clean, but I guess I can accept that it was implied that he would have won. I'm perhaps a little more miffed that they deprived us of a face, bad ass Rated RKO.

10:00 - No sunglasses, Edge? You disappoint me. But you've got the beard back so I forgive you. Like I said last week, Edge needs to win this. After Orton cleanly beat Ziggler, Smackdown needs a little payback to even the playing field.

9:43 - I was having Bret Hart/Mr. Perfect flashbacks for a moment when Natalya locked in the Sharpshooter. But I'm repeatedly astounded by Melina's flexibility.

9:35 - Ya' know, for the amount of times John Cena has refereed over the past year, I'm shocked they don't have an ACTUAL graphic of him in the striped shirt.

9:24 - I wonder if they'll put Morrison over Del Rio. That would show that they're REALLY behind him.

9:19 - On Twitter, Joey Styles and Dave Lagana both bring up a good point: With 40 slots open, is WWE in any position to remove 5-7 people from the Royal Rumble? Could there be a swerve that sees the Nexus and Corre align themselves to attack Cena? To be honest, this might be a mistake, as it takes away from the whole story of Nexus removing Barrett from the group, and Gabriel and Slater choosing to go with Barrett.

9:16 - So much for that. But I have to admit, I find this development rather intriguing. What happens? My guess is that Punk wins. He's a bigger star than Barrett, and right now he's a more intriguing character as well. Additionally, the idea of the Nexus banding together to help Punk wins is an interesting one, and with a precedent with Orton and Legacy, it's a plot that could work (or so the announcers could push).

9:14 - I like this confrontation between Nexus and Corre. I do hope they avoid a match, though. Save the physical interaction for the Royal Rumble.

9:06 - Jack Swagger always looks like such an idiot when he runs. And since it's the Raw GM, wouldn't it make more sense for him to offer the #40 spot to three Raw guys?

8:59 - Just to warn you, if they do R-Truth vs. Alberto Del Rio again, it's gonna hit the fan. That is all. Stayed tuned for my LIVE Raw thoughts.


2 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

Morrison has to be the worst runner in the company.

As for Nexus VS Corre...umm...I hope there's a swerve here. #1, it's stupid to take people out of the Rumble when it's 40 guys and you already have such amazingly over guys as "Darren Young" in it. #2, you totally take away a Nexus VS Corre in the Rumble storyline. Also, how was it worded? I came home after that announcement and missed it...would Punk and Barrett be removed as well or just their lackeys? Because that'd be pretty foolish as both have shots at winning the whole thing. Punk seems destined for Punk VS Cena at Wrestlemania (seems more likely Cena wins the Rumble, but Punk could win with Cena winning the title in the Elimination Chamber), and there's at least a chance of Barrett VS Edge or Barrett VS Undertaker for the title at Wrestlemania (I think that's unlikely, but it's more likely than most of the guys in the Rumble).

Seems to me the only options that make sense as possible winners are Cena, Punk, HHH, Sheamus, Undertaker, and Barrett, with outside shots at Morrison (VS Miz) or Del Rio (VS Edge). Taking even one out would be nuts.

Kyle Litke said...

I actually didn't mind the fake pin. I think you have to look at it this way...the smart thing for a wrestler getting knocked around to do is not to kick out the second they get pinned. It's to listen for the referee and kick out after they hear him get to 2 or hear the hand slap down. It gets them extra rest. If the ref isn't even in the ring, why kick out? Lay there and catch your breath. I've always just assumed that's why nobody ever kicks out at 1 except right in the beginning of a fast paced match where they don't really need rest yet.