Monday, January 17, 2011

Top Ten Cases: WWE 2010 Year-End Awards - Superstar of the Year


Realizing that I offered 10 categories for you to vote on for my Year-End Awards, I thought instead of revealing the results in one exceptionally long post, I'd draw it out over 10 days in the latest edition of Top Ten Cases. Today, I reveal my pick (and your vote) for the 2010 Superstar of the Year.

My Pick: The Miz
When WWE had their Slammy Awards, I was initially reluctant to name Miz the Superstar of the Year. And part of that is because I soured on Miz’s routine during the latter part of the year. It just felt like he was being overexposed, and many of his promos were much of the same thing repeated over and over again. But quite honestly, if you look at his resume over the past year, he really does deserve this accolade.

The Miz was a two time United States Champion, a Unified Tag Team Champion, the Money in the Bank winner, and, finally, the WWE Championship. Quite simply, he won every single achievement possible for his brand. Amazingly, his stock rose so much that he was able to convincingly put over Daniel Bryan (a physically unimposing newcomer) numerous times, and still had the credibility to capture the WWE Championship. Not too shabby.

However, the thing I respect most about Miz is his refusal to rest of his laurels. He has taken the initiative to improve his game in every imaginable facet. He’s taking acting classes to improve his promos and character work, and his in-ring style has improved immeasurably.

The Slammy Awards acknowledged John Cena as the Superstar of the Year, and WWE Magazine gave the nod to Randy Orton. But when fans and industry-types look back at 2010, I think the Miz is the Superstar who will stand above the rest.

What you said – The Miz
This was the ONLY question in which 100% of the participates voted in unison. It was unanimous – everybody agreed that 2010 belonged to the Miz. Perhaps he is awesome after all.


Check back tomorrow to find out which Superstar had the most disappointing year.


No comments: