Sunday, April 6, 2014

WrestleMania Predictions

I'm not at WrestleMania tonight, but the picture above is to remember the two times I have gone to WrestleMania.  Be sure to check back in a couple hours as I provide some LIVE thoughts of tonight's show.  For now, here are my predictions.  Actually, before I get to that, let me make a few points.

I'm not positive who is confirmed for tonight's show, but it is rather amazing that, conceivably, we might see Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Rock, Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Mick Foley, and Bruno Sammartino at one show -- that, along with currently active stars like John Cena, the Undertaker, Triple H, and an on-the-rise Daniel Bryan.  That is pretty unprecedented, to be honest.  Not to get too fanboy-y, but imagine what an incredible moment it would be to see all of those above names (well, not Triple H and Undertaker) celebrating with Daniel Bryan as he wins the WWE Championship?  That would be an epic scene.  And, again (not to jinx myself), but I am incredibly pleased with the performance of the WWE Network today.  I am watching it on my Roku, so it's hooked up to my TV, and it's quite easy to forget that I'm watching an over-the-top streaming station and not a traditional cable broadcasting station.

And another thing worth noting:  Last year, my biggest qualm about WrestleMania was that nobody was in a better position than they were the year before.  And, in fact, almost everybody was in a WORSE place.  Sure, we have a lot of the same people still at the top, and several very talented people that are floundering, but we've truly seen a big change over the past year as well.  Look at Daniel Bryan.  Look at the Shield.  Look at Bray Wyatt.  Look at Cesaro, who is at the very least on the rise.  Hell, even look at Orton, who had been struggling to find his place for the prior two years!  Look at Cody Rhodes.  And, just as importantly, there are several guys who had been stuffed down our throats who are being repositioned as midcard acts (like Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio) where they probably better belong.

Alright, to the predictions!

Tag team title match:  The Usos retain.  Kick the show off with a happy moment, and the only conceivable challengers (the Real Americans) are likely moving onto bigger and better things anyway.  Well, Cesaro, anyway.

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal:  The easy answer here is Big Show, but I'm going to resist that.  Sadly, I see somebody like Del Rio walking away with the victory.  They'll tease us with a Big Show win, but a heel who everybody who had forgotten about will slip back in and nab the victory.  It'll be nice to see one of these "fit as many people on the card as possible" matches again, though.  As far as surprise entrants go, I say RVD, and maybe Jake Roberts and DDP?  Maybe X-Pac and Nash?

The Shield vs. Kane & The New Age Outlaws:  I'm predicting a Shield win, and I DON'T think we'll see their break up tonight either.

Divas Invitational Title Match:  I'm obviously partial to AJ Lee so I'm rooting for her to win.  To be honest, despite the fact that AJ's role has been minimized significantly over the past month or two, she's still the only person over and entertaining enough to carry the Divas division (no matter how popular Total Divas might be).  So unless we see a surprise entry of Lita, I say AJ keeps it.  Unless Lita IS in it....then I think she takes it.

John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt:  Surprisingly tough match to call.  On the one hand, Wyatt really hasn't lost a match yet, and Cena is as good as anybody to finally beat him.  But then again, a win over John Cena would go a long way in establishing Wyatt as a real star.  Hmmmmm, I'm going to go with Wyatt, since the rest of the top matches will be face-heavy.

Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar:  Unless something very surprising happens tonight, I say Undertaker takes this one.

Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H:  Extremely little chance that Daniel Bryan doesn't win this one.  Going with Bryan.

WWE World  Heavyweight Championship Match:  If Triple H is the third man, Batista wins the title.  If Daniel Bryan is the third man, there's about a 75% chance Bryan takes it, and a 25% chance Batista takes it.  I hope they do the right thing and put the strap on Bryan, and give him a legitimate reign as champion.

No comments: