Thursday, June 19, 2008

An anti-rant, of sorts....

It's easy to criticize companies when they screw up your order or provide no service to you whatsoever. And when you have a blog, it's especially tempting to go on a vicious rant, doing everything in your power to ensure that nobody uses that company ever again (Staples anybody?)

Well, I'm going to do the exact opposite.

Last week, I ordered a tie from JCrew, and when I received it at the beginning of this week, I was deeply disappointed in discovering that it was, in fact, for a child. Like an idiot, I had already torn off the tags, so I began to worry about whether or not I would even be able to exchange it. I wrote the company an e-mail, explaining that I did not realize the tie was for a child, and asked if I would be able to exchange it for the adult version, and that I would obviously pay the difference. Even though I hadn't received a response yet, I took the tie and package with me to work the next day, figuring that I could drop by the mall on my way home.

I had arrived at the mall fully loaded with a great story about how I had received an e-mail response from the company (lie) telling me that I could exchange it for the adult version (lie) and just pay the difference (another lie). However, when I got to the store, I unfortunately realized that they didn't have the adult version in stock. Nevertheless, I went to the cashier, fully prepared to give my lie-laden explanation of what happened, when he cut me off and simply said "I'll just give you a refund." Just like that. He took the item back, didn't even acknowledge the fact that the tags weren't on it, and gave me a complete refund of the purchase (minus what I had paid for shipping, obviously).

Later that day I received an apologetic e-mail from JCrew, saying that they were sorry that they didn't better explain that the tie was for a child (even though it was really my own fault) and that they were glad to see I was able to return my purchase at one of their stores.

A couple of days later I went back to the store to use the Red Phone (at the suggestion of my friend Erin) to order the adult version. The great thing is, if you use their Red Phone, THEY pay for the shipping!! Well, the woman on the other side of the line was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

I typically don't shop at JCrew just because it tends to be a bit out of my price range, but for anybody who is willing to spend $70 on a shirt, I highly suggest you consider shopping there. In my experience, everybody there has been extremely helpful, accommodating, and friendly. Big thumbs up!


Oh, and congratulations Jamie Lynn!

No comments: