Monday, June 23, 2008

Why does Vince McMahon die at every draft?

"The rich get richer" - Tazz

I'll refrain from making my full judgment until after the supplement draft, which typically occurs throughout the rest of the night (or week, in some instances), but overall I'm pretty disappointed with some of the draft picks. Basically, the show that was least in need of new stars (Raw) got the most, while the brand that most desperately needed top talent (ECW) not only lost their top stars, but didn't gain a solid main eventer in return.

I mean, if anything showed how stacked the Raw roster is, and how castrated ECW has become, it was the battle royal at the end of the night. Again, some major changes could occur over the next week, but it's a bit ridiculous that Raw got an astounding 5 draft picks, while ECW got ONE! Hell, ECW lost their CHAMPION (Kane) and their most marketable personality (CM Punk).

I think the best thing that could have happened was for Matt Hardy and Chavo Guerrero to win the tri-branded battle royal. It would have instantly made both competitors credible main eventers, it would have added some intrigue to their Night of Champions match, and it would have shown the audience that although they aren't considered top stars, they have what it takes to topple the most stacked roster in recent history. Most importantly, it would have given ECW two draft picks (for what it's worth, given the options, I would have drafted the Big Show and Chris Jericho, perhaps?)

Anyway, since I can't turn back time, I'll just comment on the trades that were made.

Moving Batista to Raw and Triple H to Smackdown was clever, because it leaves people wondering whether they'll have Cena win the WWE Championship this Sunday to keep that title on Raw, or if Edge will drop the World Heavyweight Championship to Batista, effectively switching the World titles between the shows. I imagine they'll retain the status quo of both shows having a World Champion (I'll get to the ECW Title in a bit), so I suppose the result of the first title match will give away the ending of the second one. Although I could easily see them trying to swerve us.

I think it was a mistake to move CM Punk to Raw, not only because it REALLY hurts ECW, but also because I can easily see Punk getting lost in the shuffle at his new home. I mean, he went from a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond. If they were determined to get him off of the C-brand, I think he would have been better suited for Smackdown. Nevertheless, I imagine he'll be winning the Intercontinental Title, perhaps as early as Sunday.

For that same reason I question them moving Kane back to Raw. On ECW he's the Champion and one of the centerpieces of the show. He's absolutely, positively not going to be in that position on Raw. I do wonder if they'll have Kane keep the ECW gold until the talent exchange shifts from Smackdown to Raw, or if they'll have Big Show win it this Sunday, only to drop it to a legit ECW Superstar before the end of the Smackdown/ECW partnership.

I think Matt Hardy moving to ECW will be great for his career, for much the same reason I suggested Jeff move there. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the US Championship, though, again because it seems like the alliance between ECW and Smackdown will be ending shortly.

For that matter, Jeff moving to Smackdown will also mean big things for him, I believe. With Batista and Mysterio now on Raw, he'll instantly take his place as one of the top faces on the program. Ditto for Kennedy. And I really hope that they remember the Money in the Bank angle between him and World Champion Edge.

Umaga desperately needed a new environment, but given the lack of depth of the ECW roster, I think he probably should have moved there.

I'm torn on Mysterio's move. While he has exhausted pretty much every conceivable feud on Smackdown, he's just such a fixture on that program. Again, I think his star power and natural abilities would have done worlds of good for ECW. On Raw, he still needs to compete with Cena, Batista, and Michaels.

As I write this, it also occurs to me how incredibly face-heavy Raw is right now. After the draft, they have Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Kane, CM Punk, and Michaels. Who do they have on the heel side? Jericho, JBL, and an injured Randy Orton?

Switching Cole and JR may take a bit to get used to, but I think it'll instantly give Smackdown that much-needed "A-Show" feel. No matter how much JR's performance has dropped over the years (and some might say it hasn't), the man just EXUDES credibility.

And regarding the McMahon "set accident" thing... Given what happened in the wake of last year's McMahon death angle, I think they're tempting fate here. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that a REAL set malfunction took the life of a technical worker at a TNA Pay-Per-View just a few weeks ago. Nevertheless, this gives them a reason to back out of the whole Million Dollar Mania thing. I'll give it a shot before I condemn it to Hell.

No comments: