Friday, July 4, 2008

Yeah, that makes sense

I hope everybody is enjoying their Fourth of July. Go America!


So anyway, for anybody is who is not aware, my sister is expecting her first child this September (actually, the baby's due date is exactly one week before my birthday!) Needless to say, I am very excited. And since my sister doesn't have a sister of her own, my brother and I decided to each order her something from her registry (she sent enough hints....)

On Monday, I ordered her a cradle swing from Babies "R" Us. That night, the website had the item listed on the "already purchased" list. However, on Wednesday I went to my aunt's house, only to see a cradle swing SHE had purchased sitting in her living room. We put two and two together and realized we had both bought the same gift, yet the Babies "R" Us website only indicated that one had been purchased.

Since my gift was getting delivered directly to my sister's house, my aunt said she would return the swing she had bought. When she did so that night, she specifically told the cashier that somebody else had already got this item, and to not put it back onto the registry. Lo-and-behold, when I checked the site later that night, the cradle swing was back on the registry, indicating that it was still available for purchase.

My aunt and I both called the registry the next morning, and the woman (who was, to her credit, quite helpful) explained that when you make an order online (which I had done), the item isn't listed as "purchased" until it actually arrives at its destination (and NOT when it is processed, paid for, and confirmed on the website). The woman further explained that this is because UPS works WITH them, and not FOR them, which is also why people always receive two of everything.

Which brings me to my subject line: What sort of sense does that make? This seems like a relatively easy flaw to remedy, and considering that I would assume that the majority of people make their orders online, it would certainly be worth the effort. Ya' know, instead of making a heavily pregnant woman lug large, bulky gifts back to the store for store credit.

No comments: