Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My weekend in San Diego


So I have returned from my long weekend in San Diego. Honestly, this trip couldn't have come at a better time. On top of getting away from the grind of every day life, I was also able to walk around in a t-shirt and drive with the sun roof open while New Jersey was hit with a major snow storm. Perfect weekend to get away from it all. I also got to enjoy the delicious offerings that you simply can't find in New Jersey (at least not my area) like Jack in the Box and In-n-Out Burger. Not to mention the amazing Mexican food. Yum, yum.

It was also great to catch up with some college friends that I don't get to see nearly enough. My friend's wedding was beautiful, made only better with the perfect weather. A lot of fun was had by all. One thing I did notice about California, though, is that everybody is a bit of a chatty Cathy. I rented a car, and the salesman there kept rattling on and on and on about anything. I don't mean to be offensive, because he was quite nice. I also figured he was trying to get me to pay more money for certain features. But then later on I went to a liquor store, and AFTER my purchase, the cashier began a rather long conversation with me about how, in a short while, you won't be able to use plastic bags any more.

Oh, and neither of my flights were delayed, so I guess I'm pretty lucky overall. Even luckier, actually, following today when JetBlue inexplicably sent me an apologetic e-mail and $25 voucher. Apology accepted!

I suppose the big question is whether I fulfilled my New Year's resolution and met Rachel Bilson. Unfortunately I did not, but it wasn't without an effort. Since I had a lot of free time, I did decide to drive to Los Angeles. I've never been there before, and since I don't foresee myself in the West coast again in the foreseeable future, I figured that I'd regret not even trying (I did tell myself that I'd turn around if there was traffic. Thankfully it didn't come to that). Hey, it was a pretty tall order, and I made some honest attempts to make it happen.

I only spent an hour enjoying the sights, but let me tell you one thing: Don't let television fool you, Los Angeles is a freakin' scary place. Granted, I wasn't in the nicest area, but I definitely would not have felt safe walking around there alone at night. It was dusk and I was uneasy. In fact, I almost got jumped! Really! I was walking on the sidewalk, with some guy about a quarter of a block ahead of me. I could tell that he wasn't "all there," so I purposely kept my distance. He started walking through a scaffold-esque tunnel that was constructed along the middle of the block, and as he got to the end I saw he kinda turn around, seeing me in the distance. He then scurried to the outside corner (where I would eventually walk through), clearly planning on surprising me when I exited. I smartly decided to walk onto the street instead. When he saw me on the street and realized he couldn't jump me, he disappointed left his hiding spot and sulked as he continued his away along the sidewalk. I can laugh about it now, but it was freakin' scary.

But I did buy a new pair of sunglasses there. And lets be honest: I really needed those.

No comments: