Sunday, December 14, 2008

Survivor: Gabon finale thoughts


The Survivor: Gabon reunion special is about to end, so I thought I would provide my initial thoughts on the finale, and the season in general. Since some of you may not have seen the episode yet, click the "Read More" link for my spoiler-laden thoughts.

First and foremost, I was absolutely, positively thrilled to see Bob win. I have been rooting for him since the beginning. My cousin, who goes to school in Massachusetts, has friends who actually know him. And from everything I've heard, he's as genuine and nice as he comes across on television. A very, very, very deserving winner, indeed.

Another reason why I really wanted Bob to win was because virtually every other competitor post-merge was extremely unlikeable. Kenny drove me particularly crazy. The guy was cocky to the supreme (which, thankfully, ended up being his downfall). He was also despicably conniving -- which isn't even that bad, except for the fact that he would mope, cry, and be bitter whenever anybody had the nerve to do something underhanded to him. i mean, how on earth is it Bob's problem that Kenny's game got messed up? And I STILL can't believe that he honestly expected other people to side with him after he had openly admitted that he would have voted Bob out had he given up his immunity idol. This guy drove me crazy.

A while back I wrote a whole column about how stupid Susie was for turning on her tribe -- where she had the numbers -- for another alliance in which she was clearly the low person on the totem pole. Well, I'm not too proud to admit that I was wrong. I don't think she deserved to make it to the final three, and I certainly don't think she deserved to get so close to actually winning, but her decisions certainly paid off. So, congratulations to her for that.

Sugar....hmmm, I really don't know how I feel about her. I totally disagreed with her behavior regarding Randy (who's an ass, but even so, the whole cookie thing was pretty messed up). And while I have nothing but complete compassion for her loss, the constant crying got to be a bit much after a while. That being said, she did play a huge role in helping Bob win it. And I absolutely loved her performance during tribal council. She just had this "I'm not going to win, so eff it" attitude. And it was great. She was unapologetic and told people how she felt (whereas the roles are usually reversed).

I also found Corrine pretty annoying, and her comment about Sugar's father was completely distasteful and inexcusable. I don't care if you have a very sarcastic sense of humor or if you've been around somebody for a long time, something like that should never, ever be said. It also annoyed me how she would talk about how stupid and easily manipulated her opposition is, as they systematically eliminate her alliance one by one.

One thing struck me about Randy during the reunion special: He is most certainly playing a "character." He had this angry, bitter face throughout the whole show, even at inappropriate moments, and he couldn't stop himself from laughing at certain points. He's definitely putting on a show.

Oh, one thing I hate about the reunion is that they don't reveal, afterwards, who every jury member voted for to win. I mean, the entire last portion of the finale is devoted to getting the jury to vote for you, and it definitely leaves a void when you don't find out.

And holy hell, how cute is Paloma?

No comments: