Sunday, March 8, 2009

Top Ten Cases: Movies I'm looking most forward to


I really don't get to go to the movies as often as I'd like to, but with a new season approaching and summer just a few months away, there are a whole lot films on the way that caught my eye. Here are the top ten movies that I'm looking most forward to.

Click the "Read More" link for the list.

10. Land of the Lost (6/5/09)

I'm not dying to see this movie, and it'll probably be a "wait for it on DVD" situation. But I needed ten movies, and this was the only other film I could think of. Will Farrell does look pretty funny in it, though. Can't be any worse than Bewitched.

View the trailer:




9. Terminator Salvation (5/21/09)

To be honest, I was never a huge Terminator guy. And since I have never seen the series -- although I hear it is very good -- the only character I really felt any sense of attachment to was Arnold's. And he's not in the film. That being said, it does look really cool, and I do enjoy Christian Bale's work. I think it'll be very enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to see it.

As a side note, I heard the Director of Photography on the film was just fantastic. A real pro.

View the trailer:




8. The Last House on the Left (6/13/09)

I'm a horror movie/thriller buff, so this is the type of movie that might catch my interest. But the thing that intrigues me the most is the apparent role reversal. For those who are unfamiliar, basically this group of criminals leave this teenaged girl for dead, and coincidentally end up finding refuge at her family's home. However, it turns out that the girl survived, and she alerts her family that the people staying with them are the ones who did this to her. From there, the family begins to systematically terrorize and eliminate this group of murderers. Sounds like a fun movie that doesn't strictly adhere to the typical storytelling formula of victimizing the innocent family.

View the trailer:




7. Bruno (7/10/09)

I never really watched this particular character, but I found Borat utterly hilarious. That's enough of a reason for me to look forward to this flick.

6. I Love You, Man (6/20/09)

With all due respect to Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill, I actually consider Paul Rudd and Jason Segel the most hilarious of the Apatow crew. Although this movie seems to be experiencing that odd "changing the story in TV ads" syndrome. The previews used to indicate that the movie was about Paul Rudd's character not having any close male friends, and unable to find a suitable best man as a result. He then goes on a crusade to meet that one true friend, and comes across Jason Segel's character. The two go through a courting process leading up to Rudd popping the big question. Now -- out of no where -- the ads suggest that the movie is about Rudd asking Segel to be his best man, and his soon-to-be-wife disapproving of his decision (after a series of hilarious comedy of errors). Personally, I find the first plot funnier (and, as such, that's the trailer you're getting).

View the trailer:




5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (6/24/09)

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the first Transformers film. I saw the movie to watch kick ass robots, not Shia LaBeouf. And I would think most of the target audience would agree. And I think this did a disservice to the movie, as the climatic battle was between the robots, and the "lives" that were lost belonged to the robots as well (the "Fallen" that the title alludes to, I presume). Anyway, overall I felt myself not feeling any sense of emotional investment or attachment to any of the robots. While the visual effects were still awesome, the emotional aspect was lacking. And I think the climax of the film really suffered as a result. I do hope that the sequel focuses more on the actual robots.

View the trailer:




4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (5/1/09)

While X-3 killed a bit of my excitement over the X-Men franchise (although I thought the other two films were phenomenal), the previews for this Origins tale looks pretty bad ass. It's a bit disheartening that they've completely reinvented their version of the Sabretooth character with a new actor altogether, but I suppose that's a necessary evil for the story they want to tell. And hey, we get to see GAMBIT! Finally!

View the trailer:




3. Star Trek (5/8/09)

I've always been a Trek fan (don't try to rope me into a "trekkie" vs. "trekker" argument here), so I probably would have seen it no matter what. The fact that one of the minds behind Lost is icing on the cake. The very impressive and almost eerily-appropriate cast leads me to believe that this movie isn't purely hype, either. With the huge CGI strides that have been made since the last original Star Trek flick, I'm very curious to see what sort of technological advancements we'll be seeing. I also appreciate that while they've made subtle, welcome improvements to the original uniforms, they've managed to stay loyal to the basic design. And I hope that's the model the movie, as a whole, follows: Staying true to the original, just with a lot of improvements that are now avaiable through the magic of time.

View the trailer:




2. Watchmen (3/6/09)

Yeah, yeah, I know it's already out, but I haven't seen it yet, and it's one of the only two genuine "must see" movies on this list. I have absolutely no familiarity whatsoever with the Watchmen graphic novel, but amazing visual effects and intriguing premise caught my eye. And I absolutely love the line: "The world will look up and shout, 'save us!' and I'll whisper, 'no.'" Such beautiful contempt.

As a side note, I absolutely hate the phrase "visionary director." Isn't that a bit redundant? I mean, doesn't one need to have a vision in order to be a director? That's like calling somebody a "wordy writer."

View the trailer:




1. GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra (8/7/09)

I mean, c'mon, was there any doubt here? Following stellar adaptations like Spider-Man, X-Men, the Dark Knight, and most recently Watchmen, popular comic books and cartoons are now treated with a great deal of respect and sincerity when it comes to making them into movies. So I've got pretty high hopes. It helps that the trailer kicks ass, as well. Not to mention that the Baroness looks pretty damn hot.

I am admittedly skeptical about two things, though: A silver maskless Destro, and the kid from 30 Rock from the Sun playing Cobra Commander (really?) I understand that this movie is supposed to explain the formation of Cobra and the GI Joes, but I think it's fair to say that most people who go to this movie want to see the characters they've grown up watching, in the form that they're familiar with.

View the trailer:


No comments: