Monday, December 7, 2009

Deus ex Machina Housewives

Deus ex Machina - a plot device in which a person or thing appears "out of the blue" to help a character to overcome a seemingly insolvable difficulty.

While I'm not really a fan of Desperate Housewives (although I find it infinitely less offensive than Grey's Anatomy), I am a bit of a sucker for disaster movies. So when the show does its annual "destruction" episode, I usually decide to tune in.

And I must say, it has become increasingly obvious that these episodes are just a mechanism to get certain characters out of precarious situations. The tornado episode conveniently killed Gabrielle's husband so that she could get back together with Carlos, and likewise, last night's plane crash ever so serendipitously rescued another central character from a potentially damaging situation (I won't say who or how, but anyone who saw the episode should know what I'm talking about). And I must say, considering they hype the hell out of these messes, it's highly disappointing when it merely takes up two minutes of the episode.

For that matter, can, like, every show in the universe agree to take a year or so off with this "start the episode off with the climax, then show the _____ days/hours earlier subtitle" method of storytelling?

Anyway, for those interested, here's the plane crash scene in its entirety:





Twitter Button from twitbuttons.comShare/Bookmark




Also: Please take a moment to fill out this WWE Year-End Survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2LXGLNW

No comments: