Friday, December 18, 2009

The Vampire Diaries Midseason Report

As originally reported in my preview video, I will be reviewing a different show every day this week....

Now lets discuss my vote for best new show of the year, The Vampire Diaries. However, I'm unfortunately running a little late -- so this is going to be a tad bit briefer than I would have preferred (and likely not quite as brief as YOU'D prefer). First, let me state that Nina Dobrev continues to be absolutely lovely. Long time readers may remember that I voted her as one of the top ten hottest women on television WAYYYYY back when she was a no-name Canadian. So I find great pride in seeing her rise to stardom.

Secondly, while it was a clever gimmick, I'm glad they cooled off on the constant diary writing framing each episode. Further, attempting to fit the diaries into conversation was becoming very clunky and unnatural (I mean honestly, who really says, "I was going to run upstairs and write in my diary"???)

Anyway, click the "Read More" link for my thoughts on the season thus far.

As a huge fan of True Blood, and somebody who borderline refuses to watch anything Twilight related, this show wasn't necessarily a definite "hit" for me. But it really has developed into one of the most consistently enjoyable shows on my current line up. It's definitely more like True Blood, which is a good thing.

One of the things I enjoy about this show is its willingness to kill of characters who could conceivably be regular characters. The teacher, the uncle/nephew, Vicki. Actually, I'm especially glad they killed off Vicki. Don't get me wrong, I liked her character. But it was beginning to be a running joke the amount of times she nearly dies on the show.

And this needs to be said as well: Ian Somerhalder is an absolutely phenomenal villain. Far better than I ever would have imagined. He may very well be the highlight of this show for me, and that says something.

I also appreciate that the show avoided certain cliches, like the jerk ex-boyfriend or the creep jock. Sure, Tyler's a bit of an ass, but we'll let that slide. I've never read the books, but apparently there are additional other worldly beings in thsi universe. I'm glad that the show has shown restraint in introducing those (similar to True Blood).

But yeah, this is definitely one of the best new shows this year. Definite recommendation.





Twitter Button from twitbuttons.comShare/Bookmark






Also: Please take a moment to fill out this WWE Year-End Survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2LXGLNW

No comments: