Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Melrose Place Midseason Report

As originally reported in my preview video, I will be reviewing a different show every day this week....

Whereas you have 90210 -- which most viewers believe has improved leaps and bounds -- you also have a show like Melrose Place, which, I believe, has actually CORRECTLY used their "originals" and arguably better developed their "newbies," is on life support. At this point, it doesn't even appear that they'll get a second season.

The irony of this scenario is that the original series was in much the same boat. It was panned as being boring and bland, but then quickly turned it around into the cult classic we remember it as.

Click the "Read More" link for my complete thoughts on the season thus far. Naturally, spoilers are within.

As I noted in my introduction, I thought this season has done a great job of handling their original characters and properly integrating them into the lives of the new, lead characters. Their presence isn't forced or contrived, as I felt it sometimes was last season on 90210. And, for the most part, they've picked the RIGHT originals to return. It was smart of them to go out of their way to ensure that heatseekers like Sydney, Amanda, and my favorite Michael returned to the show.

I can't help but laugh, though, that all these old characters have become so bitter and mean. Sure, Amanda was always a bit of a witch. And Jo always had an edge. But Jane? For the most part, she was pretty level headed, caring, and compassionate. She was the damn ice queen when she stepped into the apartment complex at the beginning of the season. I look forward to seeing her reunite with Michael. These two are great together. I can only imagine how THIS Jane interacts with him.

Regarding the new characters, it seems obvious to me that Ella will step up as the "star" of the show should it get a second season. She's a surprisingly layered and complex character. Sure, she screwed over Jonah during an early episode, but she's also stepped up -- big time -- when her friends are put in an unfair situation. When Jo went off on Riley, Ella came to her defense. She remained loyal to Amanda when another opportunity seemingly came her way. She's defended Jonah even when it was potentially damaging to her career. It's obvious that she's not some one-dimensional blond bitch. And that's why she'll step up as the true lead.

They finally revealed the killer, and I must say I was quite surprised. And not in a negative way. All signs pointed to Violet. I mean, she was in the perfect position to frame both Auggie and Michael, she had the motive, she's set to leave the show, and she's freakin' psycho. But this twist actually made sense. And the past two episodes did a relatively okay job of shedding Violet in a sympathetic light. And how about that? Michael lying for his wife to protect his son. Strangely sweet.

Or course, it's also only fair that I mention the things I've disliked. After defending them for quite some time, I finally had enough of Jonah and Riley. Their self righteousness just became a bit too much to handle. All they ever do is complain about their monetary situation, and they're CONSTANTLY falling ass backwards into situations that will make them more than comfortable for the foreseeable future, and they just blow it because of their unrealistically high moral standards. Jonah won't accept a movie deal because he thinks the producer believes he will blackmail him. Riley loses her modeling contract because she won't lie about her family background. Jonah leaves an IT job because he's unsettled by the fact that he dug up information for somebody who proved to be an unreliable friend. And what's worse is that they seemingly don't care about screwing over their friends' careers, particularly Ella, either.

And on the topic of self righteousness, I also get irked by the fact that Lauren won't compromise certain values, yet is willing to become a prostitute. I mean, I can understand having issues with stealing or fudging medical records -- but isn't prostitution pretty much rock bottom?

Further, Ashlee Simpson was just atrocious in her role. I've seen her act before. She was never great, but she wasn't necessarily offensive either. On this show she was just nauseating. It was absolutely awful. Just....terrible.

And, of course, I'm still pissed about the explanation they've provided over Sydney's faked death.

Anyway, I do genuinely hope that something happens to rescue this show. Again, if the original taught us anything, it's that a show can reinvent itself in the second season. But, in fairness to CW, they are doing what they can.




Twitter Button from twitbuttons.comShare/Bookmark






Also: Please take a moment to fill out this WWE Year-End Survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2LXGLNW

No comments: