Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Raw thoughts


Sorry I didn’t provide my LIVE Raw thoughts last night, but I was feeling pretty ill (I’m actually home from work today) and wasn’t up for being anywhere but my bed. I’d actually glance over to my desk, which is probably about 10 feet from my bed, and I’d literally say, “How the hell am I supposed to get over there?”

But I do have some comments about Raw. Overall, I thought it was a strong show, and while it didn’t necessarily take the route I anticipated, the end destination was pretty much what I expected. What I HOPED would happen would be that we’d discover that Cena, Hart, Jericho, and Edge were toying with Nexus, and making them believe they were in despair until the last possible moment in order to mess with their undeniable momentum. The way I imagined it happening, would be that when the tag match kicked off, the foursome would jump Nexus (who were at ringside as lumberjacks) and it’d be revealed that they were just placing them in a false sense of security.

However, admittedly, the way it played out might have been better than what I would have done. The fact of the matter is, Edge and Jericho are heels, and it does make sense that they’d be more concerned with their self interests. Both of their heel turns were also set in motion over the perception that the fans had turned against them, so this notion of them standing up for the WWE Universe wouldn’t have made much sense from a character perspective. But at the same time, Edge and Jericho aren’t necessarily cartoonish villains, so it also wasn’t out of character for them to contemplate the possibility of rejoining Cena’s team.

And honestly, I thought the visual at the end, with Edge and Jericho standing at the ramp, looking down at their outnumbered former teammates, was fantastic. First, Jericho motioned for them to leave, however you could sense that neither of them were completely feeling it. Then Edge finally took the initiative and suggested that they go down and fight. And you could tell that both of them were just waiting for the other to pull the trigger and propose the idea – and with that, they both stormed the ring and stood alongside Team WWE.

I also liked the ongoing story throughout the night where Nexus was taking out anybody who might serve as a replacement for Team WWE. But I do have to wonder: Where was the Evan Bourne attack? I mean, this guy is such an obvious pick for everybody but the guys booking this show. Wouldn’t it have made just as much sense to have Nexus jump Bourne as he heads to the ring for his match with Miz, and then have Miz give his post-match promo following the attack? Miz already has enough momentum that he didn’t need to squash Bourne, and after having a strong few weeks, Bourne has really suffered from the current booking, so this loss really (and needlessly) hurt him.

I also could have done without Miz interjecting himself in the Team WWE vs. Nexus match, because his current storyline with Sheamus and Orton is interesting enough. If anything, I would have liked Miz to outright reject their offer and telling them that he’ll be preoccupied with the WWE title situation. Besides, “what will Team WWE do?” is a far more interesting story than “will the Miz join the team?”

Who would I like to see serve as WWE’s seventh member? Well that’s obvious: a returning Daniel Bryan!



No comments: