Friday, August 13, 2010

RIP Lance Cade

So, in a very unfortunate turn of events, today it was announced that Lance Cade has passed away at the very young age of 29. This is undeniably tragic, but I can’t help but get angry that this is likely going to turn into another opportunity for people to blame WWE, which is complete and utter crap.

I’m not going to pretend that the environment is safe – it’s mentally, emotionally, and especially physically taxing – and that their drug program is flawless, but I’d say that their current policies are pretty damn impressive.

Their current policy suspends a Superstar after one violation. After a second, they’re forced to go to rehab. If they refuse, their contract is terminated (as was the case with Umaga and most recently Carlito). If they do go to rehab and fail again, their contract is terminated. However, along with that, once a year WWE sends out a correspondence offering ANY current or past WWE contracted Superstar to go to rehab on the company’s dime. And this applies to anybody who was under a WWE contract, no matter the length or the terms of their departure. So even after you’re let go – or you leave – they’re still willing to help you out. How many other companies are willing to do that?

Listen, I’m very into personal accountability. One of my least favorite people to listen to is Lindsay Lohan, because no matter what happens to her, or no matter what trouble she gets herself into, it’s always somebody else’s fault. And hell, her mother is no better, this morning blaming the judge for Lindsay’s problems. It’s so infuriating to me that I can’t even feel sorry for her. So, no, I’m not a WWE apologist. I just can’t wrap my head around the way people force the blame away from the individual.

Lance Cade’s death is a sad thing. I understand he was married with some kids, and my thoughts are with them.



No comments: