Thursday, September 9, 2010

An interesting article from Mick Foley

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past few weeks, but with the TV season returning, activity should pick up around here (for what it's worth, I am going to start reviewing The Vampire Diaries, which premieres tonight. However, I don't know if I'll be able to watch it "Live," so you might have to wait a bit for the review. Not off to the best start!)

Anyway, over at Mick Foley's blog, the former WWE Champion posted an interesting column on the lack of respect and research that goes into articles about professional wrestling, even if the publication is well respected. The column discusses Linda McMahon's Senate race, early deaths in pro wrestling, and the debate between health insurance and being an independent contractor. Give it a read:

http://mickfoley.typepad.com/mickfoley/2010/09/that-time-i-metrachel-maddow.html

For what it's worth, Foley has a new book coming out shortly. I am going to purchase it, although I'm a little skeptical, especially since it says "A Hardcore Journal" at the top. I LOVED Foley's first two books -- probably in my top 5 of all autobiographies I've read, ever. But I was exceptionally disappointed with his last book, The Hardcore Diaries. Overall I found the book uninteresting and borderline lazy. Many of the chapters were literally just copied and pasted from columns he had written for WWE.com, verbatim.

Making matters worse was that his WWE.com column had promised some insight into his relationship and reconciliation with Flair (including an awkward instance where they had to sit next to each other on a plane), which was never touched upon with any more depth than he had written about on WWE.com. And his booking suggestions were borderline ludicrous, showing that he had just as much of an ego as all of the people he had criticized (honestly, making Terry Funk the center of the promotion in place of the highly anticipated first DX reunion?)

It really just seemed like he was writing the book for a payday. I do wonder if he'll touch upon that in his new book (considering how critical he can be of other people's shortcomings). I may also have the opportunity to attend one of his book signings, which I hope to take advantage of.


No comments: