Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Don't hold your breath...

So the election is over and as most expected, Linda McMahon was unsuccessful in garnering the Senate seat in Connecticut. Though, it was a tight race. While I have no doubt that her political played a part in the PG rating and Stand Up for WWE campaign, I was rather shocked how often I read people say stuff like, “Man, I hope she loses so that we can be done with this PG era crap.” I’m sorry folks, but the PG rating isn’t going anywhere. And for the immediately future, neither is the Stand Up for WWE campaign.

To be honest, I don’t know if Linda’s desire to enter the political world was the precipice behind the decision to change the direction of their television program, but the PG rating has led to a highly lucrative licensing deal with Mattel – which, if I’m not mistaken, doesn’t expire until 2015 – so we’ve got another five or so years before we’re going to see a dramatic difference in their weekly content.

And while the media feedback was absolutely responsible for the inception of the Stand Up for WWE campaign, I do honestly believe that its intention was for public relationships, not an endorsement of Linda McMahon specifically (although that would’ve been icing on the cake, I’m sure). I would expect these commercials and videos to continue until her campaign is a distant memory. Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it last until early 2011.

So, yeah, don’t expect huge changes just because the election is over. And honestly, what’s the difference? For years, I’d hear people complain that they just care about seeing good matches. And you know what? A PG rating shouldn’t impact that. And to tell you the truth, with what we know in this day and age, it is a massive health hazard having multiple Superstars bleeding buckets all over each other – especially when you consider the preserve drug use and ongoing affairs some of these people frequently carry on. Sure, we could do without stuff like Hornswoggle jumping through a painted black tunnel in the wall, but is that really any worse than Katie Vick? Or Mae Young giving birth to a hand?

And, yes, the Stand Up for WWE vignettes are a bit boring and longwinded, but the truth is that WWE does do some rather remarkable things for the community – much of which doesn’t get recognized. And I’m talking about stuff that goes FAR beyond simply looking for good publicity. If you don’t like it, I understand why. Just take an extra long bathroom break.



No comments: