Friday, November 19, 2010

WWE Releases Six Superstars & Divas

This afternoon WWE.com announced that six Superstars and Divas were being released from their contracts. Many of them weren't surprising, per se, but they were probably avoidable.


Shad and Vance Archer, for example, were part of a tag team that were regularly featured on television. Yet once the teams split, each of the competitors were featured less than before -- and in this case, two of them were let go. With the tag team division already struggling, what was the point of breaking Cryme Tyme and the Gatebusters up? And I suppose the same can be said for the Dudebusters (one of which was released), although I'm under the impression they were still competing together.

Jillian isn't particularly surprising, since she won a grand total of two matches since her WWE debut five or so years ago, but I'm assuming this is just the end of her talent contract. I do believe she is now a trainer in one of the developmental territories.

Tiffany's release was expected, given that she was immediately taken off television following her arrest, and was never brought back when the charges were cleared. I'm disappointed, because I thought she was hot (and she has better mic skills than most Divas), but I guess I should be glad that she was paired up with my other favorite, Kelly Kelly (who remembers when I used to beg WWE to put these two together?) Hell, they even did a photoshoot together!

Luke Gallows, in my mind, is the most tragic figure in this list. He had a good thing going as Punk's right hand man in the Straight Edge Society. He slimmed down A LOT and really looked great. He even had an impressive and marketable look. Yet the team was split, seemingly for no reason (this was before there was any talk of moving Punk to Raw), and the writing was on the wall for him.


No comments: