Thursday, April 25, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombing

The observant visitor may have noticed that I occasionally alter the banner on my blog to commemorate something that is happening, whether it's a holiday or personal matter.  I've done it for Christmas and St. Patrick's Day, as well as when I've attended certain shows and sporting events.  Right now, it's been Boston-ified as a tribute and sign of solidarity towards those personally impacted by the recent tragedy during the Boston Marathon.  The banner will remain there through the end of the month.


I knew a few people who ran the race and several more who attended.  Thankfully, none of them were near the blast and avoided suffering any injuries.  For that, I am incredibly grateful.  Considering the extremely low death toll -- and I say that with complete respect and sympathy, as there's little in this world sadder than a young child losing their life -- I thought we were pretty lucky, all things considered.  I quickly realized things were much worse than it seemed.

Yes, only three people died, but many others suffered life changing injuries.  There is a married couple that is close friends with a friend of mine, and tragically both of them were near the explosion and they each had to have their left legs amputated.  And that made me realize that statistics don't adequately represent the horrifying nature of this event.  These two people -- both of whom have been showered with emotional and financial support -- will never be the same again.  Thankfully, their positive attitudes, as well as their invaluable support system, will get them through this massive hurdle.

If you'd like to assist the victims of this attack in any way, I encourage you to check out this link:

And if you'd like to learn more about my friend's friends, who were victims as well, visit this Facebook support page:

No comments: