Thursday, June 10, 2010

In defense of Cena

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/06/10/the-peoples-column-how-john-cena-could-ruin-the-wwe-nxt-invasion/

So I came across this article over on Pulse Wrestling, and I have to say, I found it incredibly unfair. The author says that John Cena is not known for making his opponents look good, which I completely disagree with. Sure, more times than not he wins more often than not -- typically cleanly, and often times through submission -- but I also think he gives far more than anybody in his position. No matter the status or size of his opponent, he's typically on the receiving end of the punishment, and he sells his opponent's offense quite believably.

Also keep in mind that when he returned from his pec injury, he spent practically an entire year jobbing. I don't think people realize how often he lost in that span of time. I'd easily say he takes more losses than anybody at his level. Actually, consider the fact that he's dropped the WWE Championship to a number of Superstars who hadn't held the title yet: Edge, Sheamus, RVD. How many first time champions have Triple H or Undertaker lost the title to?


3 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

Here's my thing with Cena. I think his character is extremely stale. He just bores me in general. I don't like when he acts like a huge kiss ass to the guest hosts (hasn't really been doing it lately but I remember stuff like "100 years from now everyone will remember this day as the day the greatest movie of all time was released...The Goods!". His promos aren't terrible but they tend to bore me...they're either too "corny puns" or the intense ones are essentially all the same. And I don't like him that much in the ring...he's certainly not terrible, there are far worse, but I think his moves look really weak. His back suplex looks like he picks the guy up and then nicely places them down instead of slamming them, the superman shoulderblock I think looks bad and weak, the bulldog looks like he's barely touching them...

All of that said, I definitely don't think John Cena is a guy who "buries people" or anything. In fact he comes off to me as very selfless. Occasionally he does things I don't like such as when he absolutely buried Miz, but I don't blame him there, that seemed like it came from the bookers (or are they "writers" now?).

I dunno if it's true but the rumor was the reason there was a focus on Bourne last week was because Cena pretty much said WWE was dropping the ball by not pushing Bourne.

I guess it's one of those cases where I don't like his current character and I don't like his generally weak looking offense, but I think he's a stand up guy as a human being and he's good for the business.

Kyle Litke said...

To further prove my point about John Cena, he posted a lengthy thing on Twitter essentially saying he is very disappointed that Danielson was fired, that he apparently fought it but was overruled (he doesn't say this flat out but it seems to be what he's getting at), and that he would sign any petition to bring Danielson back and hopes WWE does so.

I respect that. I like the fact that everytime John Cena plays politics, it always seems to be because of something he views as an injustice against another wrestler, whether a firing or not being pushed enough. It's not to benefit himself or bury guys. They could use more John Cena's in WWE.

Matt Basilo said...

I saw that too. I like Cena more than most people in my age group, and I think it's because (a) I loved the character he played when he made it to main event status (even though that's about as far as possible to what he is now), and (b) he seems like a legitimately good, hard working guy who deserves the success he's achieved.

On top of being the poster child for WWE, he also does a great deal of work with Make a Wish Foundation, plus he's done promotional work for his movies and records. I just really respect the guy's views and work ethic.