Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Paparazzi

A couple of weekends ago I inadvertently instigated an argument between two people regarding the paparazzi, which ended up getting relatively heated. Fret not, as I didn't get out of this unscathed, as I was subjected to a rather uncomfortable car ride.

Nevertheless, the issue got me thinking. One person -- lets call him Tim (not his real name) -- argued on behalf of the paparazzi. The other person -- lets call her Tiff (not her real name, either) -- condemned their actions. I kept pretty quiet and stood someplace in the middle, although I sided more with Tiff than Tim.

My biggest issue with Tim's argument is the fact that everything the paparazzi does can be blamed on somebody else. First it was the celebrities' fault, because they chose that lifestyle. Then it was the public's fault, because they created the demand for all of these personal and intrusive photos. I mean, at SOME point the paparazzi have to be responsible for what they do, right? I also don't believe that people should get something simply because they demand it.

Tim also argued that they're just "doing their job." In my mind, that's a pretty weak point. I mean, hell, a hitman is just doing his job when he murders somebody. That's an admittedly extreme example, but nevertheless, simply doing your job doesn't give you the excuse to do something terrible.

However, Tiff's stance seemed to be the polar opposite. She seemed to believe that celebrities should be immune to having photos taken of them altogether. According to her, they are entitled to total privacy. I can't say I agree with that, either.

While celebrities do have rights, they don't have special rights. Let me put it this way: If I'm walking down the street and I see a really, really hot woman and I snap a photo of her, I'm not doing anything illegal (as far as I know). It may be creepy, but it's not illegal. With that in mind, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with taking a photo of a celebrity shopping or exercising or pumping gas or while they're at the beach or doing whatever in public. I mean, hell, I'll openly admit that if I ever see Lady Bilson strolling down the street, you better bet your ass that I'll find some way to ensure I have a camera to snap some shots.

There is a limit, though. I find what they're doing to Britney Spears absolutely reprehensible. I mean, they swarm her to the extent that she literally cannot find her car, which is parked on the street. When she DOES finally find her car, she can't even pull out of her spot because there's such a mass of people surrounding her. It's disgusting.

There are other instances where the paparazzi practically initiate a car chase in order to get some precious photo, which is not only dangerous for them and the celebrity, but for everybody else on the street (both driving and walking) as well.

Is there a solution here? I know that government interference is a highly unattractive notion to most people, but why not regulate the whole paparazzi occupation? Force all paparazzi must get a license, and make it so that printed publications can ONLY purchase photos from somebody who has a license. But, there are also some standards, like that you must stay X feet away from your subject when taking photos and that you can't create a public disturbance or unsafe environment. You can create an organization similar to the FCC to ensure that publications are compliant and to determine fines and punishments for failure to do so.

Consider that many occupations require a license of some sort. You need a license for television and radio broadcasts (in some places, anyway), to sell real estate, to drive, to fly, and so on and so forth. I mean, hell, in most places you need a license to FISH. To fish!

On top of that, many occupations have become unionized anyway (despite my general disdain for unions).

Of course, this'll never happen. I do hope that something does, however. If we use the supply and demand justification, eventually the public will demand something even more exorbitant. And after they receive that, they'll want something more. At what point will it end?

No comments: