Thursday, April 17, 2008

Survivor thoughts

I'm still a big fan of Survivor, and I'm impressed with how the show has managed to remain pretty fresh while staying true to its original concept. But after 18,000 seasons, can we PLEASE quit it with the whole "half of the tribe gets a feast, and the other half gets all bitter about it" routine? I mean, PLEASE! Get the F over it already. This happens every single season. You lost the challenge, they won fair and square, and they deserve the feast. It's a competition, and it wasn't anything malicious. On top of that, 9.9 times out of 10, the losing team ASKS how it was, feigning interesting. Then, moments after the winning tribe spills the details, the losing tribe scurries off and talks crap about them. It's really tired and old. Get over it.

Click the "Read More" link for my thoughts on who got voted off.

The amazing thing about this episode was the way it made me really, really dislike pretty much everybody except Jason, and maybe Erik. Honestly, everybody else came off as exceptionally unlikable.

I'm a little torn about how I feel regarding the crew blatantly lying to Jason about not voting him off. My personal philosophy regarding the show has always been that you're competing to win one million dollars, you're not there to meet your new best friend. So if turning on a close ally is personally beneficial, more power to you. I've always felt that the person most deserving is the person that can get to the end and convince you to vote for them. As far as this game is concerned, I really don't necessarily believe you have to play honestly or honorably.

Yet, for some reason, the way this went down really left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it was that they not only lied to him about not voting him off, but they also arranged for him to basically get them a huge feast as well. It was just....particularly despicable. There was nothing really strategic about it....it was just mean.

And what the hell was with that finger crossing thing? Are we in freakin' 4th grade?

I also find it interesting how Alexis, an apparent motivational speaker, makes the biggest sour puss face when something didn't work out for her, and then calls somebody stupid for taking somebody else's word.

Oh, and I also found it funny how James -- the guy who got voted off while holding TWO immunity idols -- criticized Jason for playing stupidly.

As far as Ozzy goes, well, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I've always liked him, but he was one of the people I referred to in the beginning who came off as very unlikable this episode. I also found his whole reaction to getting voted off pretty hypocritical. I mean, you basically spent the entire time between the immunity challenge and tribal council saying how it's about outwitting somebody, and it was foolish of Jason to take anybody's word. Oh, and he actually said "he'll just continue dominating challenges." Not at all like you would, right Ozzy? Well guess what, you just got outwitted.

Then to sarcastically say "Thanks, guys" after you get voted off. Please. I mean, you came up with this elaborative plot to vote off a guy you had promised you wouldn't vote off. But GOD FORBID they do that to you.

Highlight of the episode has to be Eliza's reaction, though.

No comments: