Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Initial 90210 thoughts

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm a 26 year old guy. Get over it.


Considering how big this series was during my childhood, I just HAD to at least give this show a chance. Overall I found it pretty inoffensive, and certainly no worse than any of the other teen dramas out there. I thought they went a little too unnecessarily heavy with the pop culture references (with gems like "You can see Britney's house!" "It's like everybody is Scarlett Johansson!" and mentioning blogs every other sentence), but I'll wait until the show gets a little more comfortable with itself before I judge that too harshly.

I did appreciate the throwbacks to the original series, like the quick appearance of Andrea Zuckerman's daughter. One thing that didn't really get touched upon, though: If Andrea's daughter goes to school at West Beverly, it's pretty safe to assume that Andrea lives in the area as well. So where was she during the whole Brenda/Kelly reunion? And will this ever be mentioned once for the entirety of this series?

Speaking of Brenda, is it me, or did she not used to have that gap in between her front teeth?

Oh, and I'm sure we're supposed to assume that Kelly's son is either Brandon or Dylan's. They sent us a little hint that it's Brandon's (with Kelly presumably on the phone with the father, and then later telling Brenda she had a phone conversation with Brandon), which probably means it's not his. Too bad, I always thought they should have ended up together.

It was great seeing Nat (and bravo to the Willie reference), but given how devoted he was to his diner, it seems somewhat hard to believe that he would he turn his classic diner into a trendy coffee shop.

If nothing else, I'm going to keep watching for one simple reason: Jessica Stroup, who plays Silver. Holy hell, how did this girl escape my radar for all of these years? She's positively stunning.

So anyway, if you liked the original series, it's probably worth checking out, if only for the nostalgic feeling. Whether it's worth watching for the next ten years remains to be seen.

No comments: