Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TV thoughts galore!

Well, in addition to my regular Prison Break discussion, I thought I'd provide some up-to-date thoughts on some other programs I've been watching. Unfortunately I did not catch House night because my TiVo taped something else (isn't it odd how the original TV, despite only coming out a few years ago and completely reinventing the entire television industry, already feels exceptionally antiquated?), so I'll have to wait until the show airs on Fox.com before I can comment on it.

And away we go....

Prison Break - Do me a solid and just read the column:

http://primetimepulse.com/2008/09/17/a-case-of-the-prison-break-episode-4-4/

True Blood - I enjoyed the second week of True Blood, and before I proceed I should make it clear that I have no knowledge whatever about the book series that this show is based on (I do believe that it's based on some books). As such, I respectfully request that people keep their comments to what we've already seen on the television program. Otherwise, you'll be ruining the fun for me and anybody else who is unaware of what is going to happen next.

Anyway, I thought the second episode did a nice job of continuing to flesh out the central characters. We learned that the grandmother is a tolerant, old fashioned woman. Meanwhile, Jason is an intolerant, sleazy moron.

I enjoyed the interaction and courting process between Sookie and Bill. I like how these two behave around each other. And I liked how he came to her rescue. It was also sweet how honest he is with her (admitting that he fed on the trashy folk who tried to kill them).

I know that we've heard Sookie read Sam's mind, but I can't help but feel like he's the dog that keeps coming to her aid. It always seems like the dog appears when he conceivably should. It seemed odd that he didn't follow her when he knew she was going after a vampire. But instead of him showing up, the dog does. Ditto for when she was getting attacked. And, of course, Bill did say that some vampires can shape shift.

90210 - The original Beverly Hills is like the original ECW: People seem to remember it with exceptionally rose-colored glasses. Everybody is comparing this series to the original -- which is expected -- but most people forget that the first season of Beverly Hills wasn't all that great. It didn't become that series that we all remember so fondly until a couple years later. I just hope that this version, which is by no means perfect, has that same opportunity.

One thing that strikes me about this series is this odd, heavy handed desire to remind everybody of what time period this all takes place in. You know....PRESENT DAY. Normally, when a show awkwardly reminds people of the time period, it's when it takes place in the past or future. There's really no need to constantly mention blogs, The Hills, or any other pop culture reference. We're well aware of the time period.

Anyway, Jessica Stroup (Silver) continues to be exceptionally hot. She's probably 30% of the reason why I watch (40% is because of the original series, and 30% is because I do, for the most part, enjoy it), although I do agree that she should put some meat on those bones.

I do find it ironic -- unfortunately, I believe it's unintentionally so -- that Naomi so condemns her dad for cheating on her mom, and chastises her mom for staying with him, only to turn around and get back together with the guy who had cheated on her.

The big news, of course, is that we found out whose Kelly's baby daddy is, and it's Dylan. While it makes sense in the context of the show (I refuse to believe that Brandon, for any reason, would be an absentee father), I can't help but be disappointed. In my eyes, Kelly and Dylan was always about passion. They wanted each other. They never seemed to be in love with each other the way Dylan and Brenda or Brandon and Kelly were. In an ideal world, I always envisioned Dylan ending up with Brenda and Kelly ending up with Brandon. So I was a bit disappointed.

On top of that, how often can we watch the "Dylan becomes a screw up" story arc?


Overall, I still enjoy both True Blood and 90210, and I'll continue watching them.

No comments: