Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Case of the.... Heroes - Episodes 4-1 & 4-2

Long-time readers will know that I’ve been a very loyal Heroes apologist. While everybody else has gone on and on about how the show is in critical condition and on the verge of cancelation, I’ve rightly noted that it’s still one of the highest rated shows on NBC (the network in, what, fourth place?) and brings in the most alluring demographics (which means money). Yet I have to admit that I’ve been majorly frustrated with the previews I’ve read for the fourth season. Nearly every single one has a cast member acknowledging that season three was a bit shaky, but that things are really going to pick up this season, with the heroes attempting to live normal lives. I feel like I read the EXACT same thing last season. And if last season failed to reach expectations – as the actors seem to acknowledge – then what assurances should I have for this upcoming season?

And truth be told, I didn’t even mind last season. I thought it was a HUGE improvement over season two, particularly the “Fugitives” arc. Part of me wishes the actors and producers would take the Matthew Fox/Lost approach, and basically just say, “No, the critics are wrong. The show is still great. You’ll see.” And he was right. A lot of fans argued that the third season of Lost was weak – I don’t agree – but ultimately, I believe, those same fans would agree that it paid off in the grand scheme of things.

There’s owning up to things and there’s taking ownership. Last year those involved with Heroes rightly owned up to the previous season’s weaknesses. This year I would have preferred they taken ownership of what was an adequate and acceptable season. Did they capture that same magic we saw in season one? No – but they never will. So they shouldn’t even try. Using Lost as an example again, the writers aren’t trying to recreate the first season (time travel comments aside), they’re instead progressing the story. And that’s why I was partially disappointed to read that these characters are “going back” to living normal lives. I don’t want them to “go back” to anything. I want them to move forward – the one thing the show has constantly struggled to do.

Nonetheless, I have come into this premiere with a positive attitude. Admittedly, I am more skeptical than I once was. My greatest hope is that the writers will show some restraint, and the real, for me, will be whether Sylar appears. And if he does, in what capacity. Last season, I made the bold suggestion that they wait until the finale before we see him emerge from Nathan’s persona. I doubt that’ll happen, but I’m curious to see what sort of self-control they show.

Click the link below for the full column:

http://tv.insidepulse.com/2009/09/22/heroes-episode-4-1-4-2-review/


**Please note that "PrimeTimePulse" is now "Inside Pulse TV." For simplicity sake, I will continue to refer to the site as PrimeTimePulse in the "labels" section.**



Bookmark and Share

No comments: