Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dive Bar Shirt Club: Smith's Union


Well, I'm back from vacation (great time), and while I was gone I received my August Dive Bar Shirt Club t-shirt. And for the first time since I began my membership, I got a shirt from outside of the continental United States! That's right, I've infiltrated Hawaii! Strangely, the logo refers to the bar as "Smith Union's" while the description calls it "Smith's Union." I decided to go with the latter, because that's what my Internet search seems to prefer.


The oldest bar in Honolulu opened in 1934 on the edge of Chinatown down by the waterfront. It was the heart of the red-light district where big ships came in and unloaded a cargo of merchant seamen and sailors looking for love. Hotel Street was willing with cold beer, hot times and a large side order of sin. Today there are more tourists than longshoremen and respectable art and culture have generally replaced prostitutes and peep shows. But Smith's Union is still a legend all over the world and the perfect place to escape long lines and stupid prices. You can ride high on waves of foarm with the bell from the Mariposa and other weathered relics from a seafaring past. Tall tales grow longer by the minute. You're seduced by the green glow of tiki magic and persistent beat of the tides. Tune up your ukulele for this one. You never know what can happen when you slip between these fringes.

No comments: