Sunday, August 21, 2011

Top Ten Cases: TV's Best Love Triangles


Whether it's a cartoon, a primetime drama, a daytime soap, or a Saturday morning children's program, chances are the show has featured some sort of "love triangle," where one person is stuck between two potential loves and must ultimately make a decision. When done right, this sordid affair can really make or reinvigorate a series. When done incorrectly, it comes off as forced and tiresome. I'll be honest, while there are a few "absolutes" on this list, I had trouble reaching ten. So I did a bit of an online search for assistance. One "triangle" that made it on multiple lists was Angel/Buffy/Spike. While I'm a huge fan of the series, I can't rightly include it on this list. In my opinion, Buffy was never torn between them and forced to make a choice. She was involved with Angel, and things ended. Years later she became involved with Spike. At no time was she simultaneously with them, and she was never in a position where being with one was an active decision against being with the other.

To me, that would be like saying that Seinfeld, Elaine, and Puddy were a love triangle, because she so happened to have once been involved with both of them. Also, I don't really watch One Tree Hill or Gossip Girl, so those "obvious" options aren't going to appear on the list either. Sorry.

No comments: