Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Case of the.... The Vampire Diaries - Episode 4-11

I hope everybody has managed to stay healthy and warm over the past week or so.  We’ve experienced some light snow, but there has been A LOT of illness being spread.  At work, we’ve had around 5 or so people out at a time throughout the past two weeks.  It’s been rough.  Keep sanitized and get your flu shots.  And I can’t stress this enough – sneeze and cough into the inside of your elbow, NOT YOUR HANDS!  That is all.



Moving onto this past week’s episode, am I the only one who feels like Elena was a tad unreasonable with her overall tone and judgment of Stefan?  Yes, I understand that certain things were bigger than their breakup – like Jeremy’s life being in danger – which made calling upon him a necessity, but the way she spoke to him made it seem like she views him as the bad guy (or at least petty) in this scenario.  First there were her facial expressions and borderline eye rolling when she called Stefan to tell him about Jeremy.  Then there was the response to his treatment of her when she went to go visit a captive Damon.  Don’t get me wrong, I understand Elena’s plight.  She does love Stefan but he began to make her feel like a project that needed to be fixed instead of the unconditional love of his life.  Then, between her heightened vampire emotions and the sire bond, she was finally able to act upon the passionate feelings she had for Damon (who, on the other hand, DID accept her for what she had become).  I don’t really think Elena did anything wrong, per se, but I did expect her to show a bit more sympathy towards Stefan.  There seemed to be a complete lack of compassion towards the way she hurt him.

And I was also thrilled that Stefan brought up Damon’s misdeeds when Elena mentioned that Rebekah had tried to kill her.  Not only has Damon literally killed Jeremy in the past (which Stefan brought up), but he also did the same thing to Alaric, AND he killed the completely innocent Lexie simply to take her out of Stefan’s life and to make her a scapegoat for the mysterious vampire-related murders.  And although I’m not sure it’ll actually lead to anything, I did find it interesting that Damon brought up the fact that while Stefan was able to resist his compulsion due to his love for Elena, he was not.

Speaking of Rebekah and Stefan, I had predicted that these two would eventually hook up due to their new partnership.  I was right, but I didn’t quite think it would happen THAT fast.  Not that I’m complaining.  As Stefan alluded to at the conclusion of the episode, since the beginning of the series we’ve seen him in SOME manner motivated by his love for Elena.  It’ll be refreshing to see him in a relationship – no matter how emotionless it might be – that has nothing to do with her.  Plus, Rebekah has managed to develop into a complex, interesting character over the past season or so.  I wouldn’t mind seeing more of her (but has that whole Matt crush vanished?)

It looks like Bonnie is going full on Willow right now as the best friend who becomes consumed with her ever-growing magical abilities.  I’m not sure where it’s going and whether she’ll actually take a dark turn, but I am surprised to see her partnership with Shane coming to an end so suddenly.  Most notably, because it leaves Bonnie and Shane as “free agents” JUST after making a point that everybody has splintered off into their separate teams.  I’m guessing one of them joins Elena/Damon, while the other joins Stefan/Rebekah.  Which person goes to which side, though?

Although it wasn’t really touched upon this episode, I was really glad to see Elena and Jeremy getting along so well and acting like their former selves this episode.  So much is being made about both Elena and Jeremy changing since their transitions (one into a vampire, the other into a hunter) that it was nice to see both of them acting so human and normal again.  I’m of the opinion that these two should always be on good terms with each other.

And while this comment may conflict what I just said, I also liked how Matt brought up the fact that Elena HAS been acting differently and making decisions that she wouldn’t have as a human.  And despite this observation, Elena is still in denial.  I’m wondering if all of these outspoken people will force Elena to evaluate herself, instead of trying to convince everyone (and perhaps herself) that she’s in perfect control of her thoughts and emotions, and she’s simply in love with Damon.  I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

No comments: