Monday, May 25, 2009

Any math majors out there?


Is anybody else familiar with this Kidrobot stuff? Basically, they produce interesting looking collectible plastic figurines, but package them in a "blank" box, so you don't know which character is actually inside. They manufacture a number of different varieties, like Lost, Hello Kitty, and the ones I'm collecting -- the Simpsons. Anyway, there are certain odds that will determine which character is inside the box (Homer, for example, is 2/24).

So I've purchased five since discovering these cool little things, and so far I've received two Homers, two Apus, and one Fat Tony. Now, if there's a 2/24 chance I'm going to pick Homer, and I've already come across two of them, does that mean I won't be getting another Homer over the next 19 purchases? Naturally I know it's not that cut and dry, but is that the gitz of it?

Here are the cards with the actual odds. If anyone fancies themself a statistics expert, let me know what the chances are that I come across any other duplicates:




No comments: