Saturday, September 10, 2011

Blog Exclusive: A Case of the.... Louie - Season Two Review

So as I've probably mentioned before, I'm a big fan of stand up comedy and even though I rarely (if ever) get to see actual performances, there are a handful of comics that I find absolutely hilarious and will go out of my way to see, no matter the forum. Louis CK is at the top of that list, so I've been an avid viewer of his FX program, Louie.


When it premiered last year, I (like virtually everybody else) compared it to Curb Your Enthusiasm. Both shows had the lead character playing a fictionalized, exaggerated version of his actual self, and both programs took advantage of awkward, every day humor.

Last year the show was phenomenal. This year, it was simply good. I think the problem lies in the fact that, as strange as it sounds, Louis CK forgot the make the show funny. Last year had dramatic episodes with a deep message, like the Bully and Crucifixion episodes (both favorites), but for the most part it was a genuinely hilarious show. I appreciate Louis CK's artistic capabilities -- he's rather talented from a production stand point -- but this year I think he just got a bit too "artsy" for his own good. And as a result, the humor suffered.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an enjoyable show and I do recommend it (if only because it's something that dares to be different), but my initial feeling is that it didn't quite measure up to its freshman year. This is not unusual, as shows tend to struggle to get comfortable in its own skin, and the second year suffers because of it (the infamous "sophomore slump"). I'm more than willing to see where things go season three, and Louis CK remains one of my favorite comics.

Did you watch this season? If so, what did you think?

No comments: