Monday, September 5, 2011

LIVE Raw thoughts - September 5, 2011

11:27 - And for those of you interested, here is some (brief) additional information the new WWE Network:


11:12 - I'm sure most people are going to say this is just another example of Super Cena overcoming the odds, but I found it relatively inoffensive. Cena was out of the match until the way end, so he was completely fresh. And the entire match was built around making Swagger and Ziggler (especially Swagger) look good. And of course, there was some hijinx that led to Cena beating the two of them. Thankfully, he sold after the match a bit more than he did at SummerSlam last year.

11:06 - The camera shot of Christian slapping Sheamus, and the zoom in on Sheamus shooting darts at Christian, is one of the MANY things that separates WWE and TNA. You'd never see that sort of thing from TNA.

11:01 - I don't care for the nickname "The Great White." It feels incomplete. The Great White What?

10:55 - Yeah, I probably should have guessed that Morrison would be the first eliminated....

10:49 - I LOVE elimination matches because I love reading into the order of elimination. Here's my prediction -- Alex Riley, Wade Barrett, Jack Swagger, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, and Cena and Sheamus survive.

10:44 - John Cena is REALLY pushing this whole thing about ADR not knowing the names of the cars he's driving. Does he think this is going to get people riled up or something?

10:37 - Kyle, thanks for returning to the blog, your insight was missed. Regarding the WWE Network, you're right on -- they have TONS of material that they could do any number of things. Then there are specials, like their Wrestling Roundtable show (I've seen a few episodes and love it. The fact that it's On Demand, instead of a channel on a network, turns me off however). And like you said, there are shows like NXT and Superstars that would benefit significantly if it were on television, opposed to their website (plus it gives them original, new content to air). There's tons they could do and I'm excited to see what they have in store.

10:33 - So did anybody, other than Punk, get out of the Nexus/Corre with anything other than dreadful theme music?

10:24 - Nice that they gave Zack Ryder a victorious moment.

10:19 - Gotta love the fact that the former Nexus don't get an entrance, yet King -- who sits at ringside -- does. Good to see them giving Ryder some legit exposure, though.

10:14 - Somebody on Scott Keith's blog said that the WWE Network would never happen. Looks like it may, after all. That was a pretty solid indication, huh?

10:11 - I loved Punk's "you've been hitting people in the head with sledgehammers for ten years and you haven't killed one yet" line, but you could hear the audience groan when Punk mentioned his stipulation -- which I'm sure had a lot of people thinking that Triple H would win. This falls into the "booking yourself in a corner" category. If Punk wins, the entire WWE power struggle storyline crumbles. If Triple H wins -- even by nefarious means -- it could jeopardize Punk's ascension into super duper stardom.

10:08 - I'm glad they gave Punk the win. Truth be told, they should have given him the win last week against Miz, too. I was a bit worried, though, when he had his back turned to Truth for no less than 15 minutes.

9:54 - I have to admit that I actually enjoyed the interaction between Miz and R-Truth (it usually feels forced to me). And, as expected, they're going to be competing for the Tag Team Championship. Odd that they didn't give Punk a full blown entrance, though. I'm guessing he's giving the live audience a promo, perhaps to wake them up a bit.

How do you see the rest of the Night of Champions card playing out? Maybe Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes for the Intercontinental Title. And perhaps Dolph Ziggler and Swagger for the United States Championship? Is anybody else competing for that title? And is Orton vs. Henry official yet?

9:47 - It's a bit surreal seeing Christian and Del Rio paling around so casually. How about their multi-month feud? How about Del Rio putting Christian out of action? Granted, I missed last week's promo, but it seems awfully quick for them to just kiss and make up. Even Edge and Jericho remained hostile towards each other when they were both heels, until ultimately putting their past behind them.

9:36 - Wow, Kelly dropped "BS," huh? And doesn't Natalya hate Michael Cole?

9:29 - I've been meaning to do a full blog post about this, but for years people have been pleading with WWE to redo the WWE Championship. Yet with their last redesigns, are we convinced that the new one would be any better than what they have now? There was the silver ECW Championship, which I didn't hate but was certainly polarizing. Then there's the silver, butterfly shaped Divas Championship, which has pink and purple jewels all over it. And then there are the bronze, circular WWE Tag Team Championship, with gladiator helmets on it. When was the last time a championship was created that wasn't dreadful or polarizing?

9:23 - I noted in my LIVE Smackdown thoughts post that the Great Khali has to abandon those bright red "Punjabi Playboy" pants if he's going to get over as a monstrous heel. On WWE.com, they posted photos from WWE's recent tour of France, and in photo 7 Khali is wearing far superior navy pants. Yet, sadly, he's back to the red ones tonight?

9:18 - So you all know that I like to keep things positive and I don't typically subscribe to backstage rumors and reputations, however I can't help but get a bad taste in my mouth following that opening segment. The red hot CM Punk/John Cena feud led to a Triple H/Kevin Nash feud? And Kevin Nash attacking and beating up CM Punk for weeks on end results in Triple H punching out and firing Nash? I'm sure the story isn't over yet, but what SHOULD have happened is that Punk should have hit the GTS on Nash as the camera panned out and showed that he's still in the ring. This whole thing did nothing for Punk, and it certainly didn't add to the tension of CM Punk/Triple H at Night of Champions.

9:15 - PS - Can that loud ass woman in the front row, near the camera, shut the hell up?

9:14 - Kevin Nash sent the text to himself? This is like the episode of Lost where Dharma Miles babysits Baby Miles. What exactly did the fake text prove?

8:54 - I hope everybody is enjoying their holiday weekend. After a brief hurricane-related hiatus, welcome to another edition of my ongoing LIVE Raw thoughts. Good news! I added a new tag so that these posts can be easier to follow. And it's also been a while since I've received any feedback throughout the show. Where are my usual readers? Let's get an interaction going!

4 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

I wonder how well a WWE Network would actually do. I mean, I think it's actually a good idea for them. While I wouldn't expect terribly high ratings, they have so much content that's already done and produced that it won't really cost them anything in terms of creating new shows. It'd give them a place to put things like Superstars and NXT if a network never actually picks them up (wouldn't shock me to see Sci-Fi move Smackdown to Tuesday and stick Superstars or NXT on Friday night), and they can make some made for TV movies for their wrestlers instead of just straight to DVD. The key is the video library, that gives them enough content for years without even repeating or creating new stuff.

Kyle Litke said...

I have to say, I know I'm not the biggest John Cena fan, but it's not about that...I just don't care about this match at all. Not even a little. I think it's a mix of not being a huge Cena fan, Del Rio not even being there last week, Punk's storyline being better (even if it has its problems), Cena constantly stressing how Del Rio is just a big fluke not in his league (so why do I care about a match between them?)...I like Del Rio but I don't think this was the right time for him. They should have been building him up...instead they tore him down then he suddenly won the title. Then when Cena tells everyone Del Rio is a big fluke, well...yeah, sure seems that way. It was good that he looked strong against Morrison after winning the title but that by itself doesn't mean much.

Kyle Litke said...

By the way, this is now twice that Sheamus ran out to save Cena. Where was Cena last week on Smackdown when Sheamus was getting double teamed?

Also, kind of weird that the main event of this show was set up at 10:50. It's not even like it's some big shocking main event with a returning wrestler, it's just an 8 man tag. They couldn't have done this segment earlier in the show and announced the match for later at that point?

Matt Basilo said...

The inconsistent use of having wrestlers come out to save each other always bothered me. Like Nexus' debut. We are to believe it was so severe that the dastardly CM Punk would try to save Cena right after fighting them, but somebody like Evan Bourne (a long time Cena ally) wouldn't try to?