Saturday, September 3, 2011

Facebook Privacy: One Step Forward, Five Steps Back

I'm not one of those people that harp on Facebook's privacy policies and I really don't hide much of what I do on there either. There are certain features that I hide from certain people, either for professional or personal reasons, but for the most part it's a pretty open book.


However, I can't help but be REALLY frustrated with Facebook right now. In case you haven't noticed, they have now customized their privacy features, which allows you to control who can view individual photo albums and Wall posts. In theory, this is great. However, for whatever reason, the "standard" privacy setting didn't really translate, so now many people that previously couldn't see my wall now can. And it seems that there is no longer an option to hide ALL albums/Wall posts, instead you need to set each one individually. If you're like me, and you post a lot of photos, that's a HUGE undertaking.

And actually, I did find an option that is supposed to cover all Wall posts, but the individual settings override that. So let's say I have it set so that John Doe and Jane Doe can't view my Wall on my universal settings, but the individual settings only block John , then Jane Doe can still view my Wall. And of course, Facebook doesn't have a direct "Contact Us" link so that you can actually speak to somebody about this.

Truthfully, in my case it's more of a frustration/annoyance than a real issue. I keep my Facebook page relatively clean, so there's nothing that can get me in real trouble. But there ARE people out there who take this very seriously, and I have heard stories of being getting in professional trouble because of things on their Facebook page. In that sense, this is something Facebook should be concerned about.

No comments: