Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blog Exclusive: A Case of the.... True Blood - Season Four Review


A couple of weeks ago True Blood completed its fourth season and I have to say, it was probably their best season yet! I don't know what it is about True Blood, but I tend to enjoy each individual episode, yet my enjoyment of each season as a whole varies greatly. For example, before this season, I typically viewed season two as my favorite, followed by season one. For whatever reason, season three felt like the weak link. But overall, I thought this was a really, really strong season. In an effort to not reveal any spoilers, please click the link below for my full thoughts on the season. As one might infer, spoilers are within.

Continue reading "Blog Exclusive: A Case of the.... True Blood - Season Four Review"....

My one criticism of the season is a pretty major one, though: I had a really difficult time buying into the Eric/Sookie relationship. I just had a really tough time believing that she would fall in love with her so easily and so quickly. Yes, I could understand that she felt hurt and betrayed by Bill, and that she was taken aback by his suddenly innocent persona, but still. I was never invested in that relationship. Seemed very, very forced to me. And is it me or is the whole "woman chooses herself over two lovers" thing a massive cliche?

But other than that, PHENOMENAL season!

I was sad that they killed off my favorite new character, Jesus. When he debuted last year, I wasn't entirely impressed. He just seemed like yet another dark, sketchy character introduced onto the show. But this season, he developed into a really great character. His death was obvious, once Lafayette became possessed, but I found myself legitimately disappointed when it actually happened.

I was handing out cigars when Tara was killed, on the other hand. There's a lot of people guessing that Bill or Eric or somebody will turn her into a vampire, but I'm hoping that the fact that her head was shot off is dead enough to not bring back. Good riddance.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the Eric and Sookie together, unusually I did enjoy the love triangle. And while the ending was a bit of a cliche, I think the bad ass tandem of Eric and Bill kinda sorta kicks a whole lot of ass. Their slaughter of Nan and her goons was, in a word, incredibly awesome. "We're not f'n puppy dogs!" These two can be awesome together.

Jason & Jessica ">" Hoyt & Jessica

I'm glad they drifted away from somber, drunk Sam after a few episodes, because he's one of my favorite characters. It's strange how he manages to stay away from the "A" story, yet maintains interest in his own arc. His up and down relationship with Tommy was complex, but ultimately rather sweet. I especially loved the fact that he didn't blame him for the outburst directed at Sookie.

The Marnie story arc was surprisingly interesting as well. I loved the reveal that Antonia wasn't actually the one going crazy with power and vengeance -- that it was actually Marnie. And the end, when she was (somewhat) forgiven and vindicated, that was nice as well.

The big story of next season may be the return of Russel. Who's responsible? Pam, out of vengeance against Sookie/Eric? Nan, to retaliate against the Authority? Somebody else? I'm not sure -- but I'll be watching.

No comments: