Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The New WWE Championship?

Piggybacking off of CM Punk's comments that a new WWE Championship has been designed and is ready to go, a photo was evidently leaked, showing us all the title's new look (shown above).

To be perfectly honest.....I don't hate it.  My two main criticisms of the "Spinner" belt are that it's flat (which looks awkward around the champion's waist, due to its size) and that it says "Champ" instead of the more prestigious "Champion."  Both of those issues have been fixed with this new design.

And, to be fair, there's very little we know based on this photo.  There's no frame of reference, so we can't tell how big or small the plate is.  Additionally, we don't even know if this is the complete design (it's clearly just the mold).  For example, on the Spinner belt, the eagle and "Champ" are -- I believe -- additional pieces attached to the main plate.  So while this might seem bland (it's just the logo and the word "Champion"), this might just be the main portion with other parts added on.  I'm guessing we'll see red gems on the "swoosh" beneath the logo, and diamonds alone the edge and on the logo.  I would also imagine that there will be some form of etching along the (currently undesigned) main section.

Now, what I don't like:  First, there doesn't appear to be a name plate for the current champion's name.  That was my favorite addition to the current line of championships (also missing on the new tag team titles).  And, it does sorta look diminutive and boring (again, I expect more bells and whistles from the final version.  And as I said, there's no frame of reference giving us a true indication of its size).  Right now, it almost looks like a belt buckle.

Overall, I think this is a step in the right direction.  Inoffensive and a bit less gaudy.  But I am interested in seeing the final product.

Thoughts?

No comments: