Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Trending Topics - The Dark Knight Rises - [a case of the summer]


So this Sunday I finally got to see The Dark Knight Rises ("finally" might seem like a strong word since it had just come out two days prior, but waiting truly did feel like an eternity), which means this edition of Trending Topics with be my review of the epic film.  There will be spoilers within, so I'm going to do a page break to ensure that nothing is ruined for anybody who hasn't already seen the film.  For those who have seen the movie and want to know my thoughts, click the "Read More" link below!

Personally, I loved the movie, but I will concede that I didn't enjoy it as much as The Dark Knight (a nearly flawless film), and after months of perspective, I suspect I'll rank it below The Avengers as well.  Then again, this movie is a lot different from those two.  The Avengers had the fortune of shifting the focus among an ensemble cast, which meant that something big was happening nearly every moment.  Further, The Dark Knight Rises had a responsibility that The Dark Knight did not:  namely, that it had to provide a conclusion to the Batman/Bruce Wayne story.  Because of that, it was necessary to spend a significant portion of the movie studying the psychology of the titular character.  As such, there were portions of the movie (sometimes long portions) where nothing was seemingly happening.  It was, I think, a necessary evil.

The real shocker, for me anyway, is how much I enjoyed Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman.  Between her performance and the writing for the character, she was a genuine highlight of the entire trilogy.  Not to discount Michelle Pfeiffer, but Catwoman is a rather complex character that didn't quite flesh out to her full capabilities in Batman Returns.  This was a great portrayal, with Catwoman starting out as a burglar who knowingly does business with bad people, but ultimately decides to do the right thing in the end.  Plus, the relationship between Batman/Bruce and Catwoman/Selina (awesomely done in Batman the Animated Series) was done to perfection here.  Not to mention that she looked really hot.  The entire movie.  She was quite charming and witty, too ("do those high heels hurt when you walk?"  "You tell me").

I wasn't quite sure what to expect of Bane.  I would say he met or exceeded my expectations, though.  The voice didn't bother me as much as I worried it might, although I did find myself having to pay especially close attention to his dialogue to ensure that I wouldn't miss anything.  His character motivations seemed somewhat reminiscent of Joker's "I just want to enjoy the chaos," but the visual of the inmates running the asylum was fun (and had he not passed away, couldn't you have seen the Joker in the role filled by Scarecrow, as the judge, jury, and executioner?)

I'm glad they dealt with something that bothered me from The Dark Knight, namely Commissioner Gordon's willingness to trump up the man who had tried to kill his son.  Clearly, that is something he struggled with -- and he even explicitly mentioned that very fact.  The character of John Blake was an enjoyable addition as well (although it did seem like he stole some screen time from Gordon, who was always a favorite of mine).  The "Robin" reference at the end was cool (the audience at my theater actually cheered), but it felt a little contrived.  I wish they had just called him "Robby" all movie, only to reveal at the end that it was short for Robin and not the assumed Robert.

I loved the ending, with Batman seemingly sacrificing his life in order to save Gotham.  I truly thought he might actually be dead, and I was strangely okay with that.  The idea of a very human Batman losing his life to save the town he had sworn to protect seemed like a fitting way to conclude the story.  Of course, I was happier with the way they ultimately ended it -- but I quite liked the way it was done.  The final fight scene also made me think of something:  Is that the first time, all trilogy, that we've seen Batman in broad daylight?  It was quite a striking scene.

The movie wasn't perfect, though.  The relationship between Bruce Wayne and Alfred was quite possibly my favorite aspect of Batman Begins.  When I think of that movie, I still think back to Bruce Wayne, at his weakest moment, looking up at Alfred and his longtime guardian encouraging him that people fall so that they can get up again.  For that reason, I really disliked the hostile nature of their relationship this go around.  I completely understood Alfred's perspective:  instead of moving on with his life after hanging up the cape and cowl, Bruce Wayne just gave up on life completely.  And it was difficult to watch this man that he had practically raised on his own become so miserable.  And from a cinematic point of view, I also understood why it was necessary to remove Alfred from the story (as having him held hostage, like the rest of the town, wouldn't have served a purpose.  I just hated the idea of their relationship ending under such nasty means.  And Alfred's dream of seeing Bruce Wayne living happily, but neither of them saying a thing to each other, didn't seem sweet or poignant.  These two are family -- I personally prefer the idea of them keeping in close contact and sharing each other's happiness.

Really, that was my only major complaint.  Personally, I don't particularly care how Bruce Wayne got back into Gotham.  The end scene, with Bruce Wayne (alive and well) finding a new, (I presume) normal life with Selina Kyle was an awesome conclusion to the Batman story.  Overall, it was a truly awesome film and something I highly recommend.  Go see it!

2 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

Very good, not as good as Dark Knight, but still very good.

SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN IT

Why Robin? Why why why? Why not Dick Grayson? People cheered in my theater too but, while I'm obviously aware Robin is a "real name", being a long time fan of the comics, it would be like Bruce Wayne suddenly saying his legal name was actually Bat Man. His name isn't Robin, it's his superhero name. I know it was just a nod, and believe me, this was not a big deal and it didn't harm my enjoyment of the movie, it's just a moment that for me personally could have been really cool but was ruined by using Robin rather than Dick Grayson.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a great job (did they even call her Catwoman at all? I'm glad they didn't really do that and just stuck with Selina Kyle, although that makes me question "Robin" over "Dick Grayson" even more, since they had enough faith in their audience to understand that Selina Kyle = Catwoman but not enough faith to use Dick Grayson instead of Robin. Even my mother knows Dick Grayson was Robin and she knows absolutely nothing about comic books and I don't think ever saw a Batman movie after the original...I digress). I didn't have a problem with Bane, some complained but except for maybe one scene I understood him. I forget which scene, I just remember not catching what he said once. Fine for the most part.

I liked the swerve well enough. I'm surprised I didn't figure it out, to be honest. I even thought at one point that they could have used Talia since she's actually Ra's child.

I'm also glad Bruce wasn't dead. Some suggested that Alfred didn't really see them at the end, that it was just a hallucination or something like that...aside from that not being set up at all, I think that would have sucked. It's not that I needed Bruce Wayne to survive, it's more that his death would have essentially meant that every major character we've seen for three movies got a bad ending with not one happy one in the bunch. A relatively neutral ending for Gordon and I guess an okay ending for John Blake, and that's it. Bruce dead, Alfred a wreck, Wayne Enterprises a mess...it wouldn't have been a terrible ending but wasn't the ending I wanted to see. The glimpse of Bruce and Selina was enough to give everyone a good ending, and I liked that they went that route. And as you pointed out, it would have meant the Bruce/Alfred pair would truly have ended on that nasty note. While they didn't interact in the end, there was at least an understanding, a "I came here because I knew you'd look, I'm okay and happy" type thing. I agree that I'd rather think they kept in close contact, but at least it's a better ending than "They went out on nasty terms and then Bruce died and now Alfred is a wreck of a person forever because the last Wayne died before they could even reconcile".

Overall an excellent movie. A few problems here and there (could have used more Batman I think, I'm not sure we needed "Bruce needs to build himself up to retake the mantle of Batman" twice in one movie, even though I'm not entirely sure how I would have done it differently), but overall very enjoyable.

Kyle Litke said...

Got cut off:


I wonder, had Ledger survived, how Joker would have fit in. You could have done a bit of a different movie with the same general idea with Joker taking one of the spots, but I'm not sure he would have really fit into there. The Scarecrow part would have made sense, but I'm not entirely sure if they'd really have been able to have Heath Ledger appear as the Joker, in one of the most iconic villain performances in recent memory, as a one off cameo. Or indeed, if Ledger would have even been willing to do that, considering the state of mind he put himself in to play the part. Yet because of how insanely beloved the performance was, I think people would have been very disappointed if he hadn't shown up at all. Obviously it's different here due to his passing, but had he been alive, I would think people would have expected at least an appearance. Well, I suppose we'll never know.