Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer of Excitement - Wedding at a brewery - [a case of the summer]


It's the first official week of the Summer of Excitement, and it was an entire weekend of excitement!

One of my good friends from high school (and college, for that matter) got married this weekend.  That's not even the most exciting and interesting part -- they got married at a brewery!  And their two friends (who are married to each other and introduced them) officiated the wedding.  It was actually a really cool and unique way to get married if you don't wish to go the religious route.

So yeah, as I said, the wedding was held at Allentown Brew Works in Allentown, Pennsylvania.  I arrived Friday afternoon with my two friends.  I had dinner and drinks at the hotel bar before we met a few other friends at the brewery (not for the wedding, just to hang out).  We ended up hanging out there several hours, even making friends with some of the waitresses and bartenders there.  In fact, when we went back to the hotel bar later that night -- around midnight or so -- one of the waitresses and bartenders can back with us.  On top of that, the hotel bar had karaoke as well.  It was quite hilarious and adventurous.

Not to offend anybody from the Allentown area -- as some blocks are actually quite nice and quaint.  However, if you drift a little too far from the hotel area, it can be.....dangerous?  And I made the great decision to walk a little further than I probably should have Saturday afternoon.  I walked past this one lady who was just sitting outside a shop.  She says to me, "Wanna cigarette(?)"  I tell her, "I'm fine" and I keep walking.  A few blocks later I decide to turn around and head back to the hotel.  I purposely crossed the street as to not pass by her again.  As I'm walking by, she crosses the street towards me and again says, "Wanna cigarette."  I've been interpreting this as her offering me a cigarette to buy, so again I say, "I'm fine, thanks."  She then tells me, "No, I want to buy one!"  I guess it was my responsibility to pay for this desire?  So I just kept walking -- much faster -- and I returned to the hotel.  Quite the adventure, it was.  As my friend told me after I recounted my tale, I really do have the most unusual run-ins with strangers.

Saturday night was the wedding.  And yes, I was still quite self conscious about my red discoloration.  It looked MUCH better, but it was still quite noticeable.  I was especially worried when I saw the majority of my friends, who I figured wouldn't restrain from repeated jabs.  I had worn a hat the rest of the weekend, as my forehead was really the only beat up part (and my lips, which were blistering as well).  Shockingly, after an initial "wow were you tanning?" we pretty much moved on.  However, I WAS still feeling some lingering self image issues, so I didn't take advantage of an opportunity that I otherwise would like to think I would have.  So that was personally disappointing -- but that's all I have to say about that.

The reception itself was a great time -- with LOTS of beer, of course.  Brewed right at the location, no less. And as we've now been out of high school for a decade, it's always nice getting a large amount of my high school friends together in one place.  We've got some people in Jersey and New York City, but others are scattered around Connecticut and DC and various other places.  So getting all together is a lot of fun.

Oh, and after the reception ended we returned to the hotel bar.  And while there wasn't any karaoke this time around, we did get to hang out for one last hurrah.  It's also where I spilled my beer all over the groom's brother.  So, yeah, that happened.

It was a real great weekend and a great way to start off the Summer of Excitement.  This upcoming week has big shoes to fill.

No comments: