Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Case of Beer - When Beer Pong Can Get You Killed - [a case of the summer]


So instead of telling you about a game you've probably never heard of, I thought I'd share a personal story about a game we're all familiar with:  Beer Pong!  Specifically, this is a tale of when a heated game of Beer Pong could have potentially gotten me (and my friends) in a lot of trouble.

It was my sophomore year at Rutgers and I met up with two of my close friends from home (who were beginning their freshman year at Rutgers).  For some reason, we went to a frat party (I say "for some reason" because it was never really my scene.  I'm not sure what the connection was).

Anyway, the three of us were playing a game of pong against three frat brothers.  The rules they played at this house had three people on each team, with each team having two six cup pyramids in front of them.  You were also paired off with an opponent, meaning any time you made the shot, they'd have to drink and vice versa.  So let's say I'm paired with Tim, Bob is paired with Mike, and Steve is paired with Roger.  If Steve doesn't make any shots, Roger never drinks.  If I make in 10 cups, Tim has to drink 10.  It's actually a rather fun way to play  -- definitely different than the "you take one, then I take one" method.

So after an intense and competitive game, my team ended up winning.  The frat brothers WERE NOT happy about this.  And despite the fact that we were just three people (two of which were freshman) at a frat house against three brothers (and I'm not even sure who we knew), there was A LOT of tough talk coming from both sides.  After we won the game, the brothers immediately demanded a rematch (they were not pleased) and someone (probably idiot me) demanded that we put money on it.  So all six of us put $5 on the table and we played again.  And once again, it was a very intense and very competitive match.

And once again....WE WON!!!  And I'm almost certain I actually made the winning shot!  We were excited.  We grabbed our money, shook our opponents hands, and left shortly after.

Some time after that I ran into this girl who lived in my dorm, who I had remembered seeing at that party.  It turned out that one of the frat brothers that we were playing was her boyfriend.  When I told her about the story, her reaction was, "That was you?  Oh my God.  They were REALLY pissed.  They were going to jump you guys."  I guess she had calmed them down, thankfully.

So yeah, that game of Beer Pong almost got me and my friends jumped by some frat brothers at their frat house.  Fantastic.

But hey, I made $5.  Worth it.

No comments: