Sunday, August 19, 2012

LIVE SummerSlam thoughts - August 19, 2012

10:44 - Okay, so Brock was more or less dominant throughout the match, kicked out of one Pedigree, and completely no sold another Pedigree minutes before making Triple H tap clean.  Do all those people (not to call 'em out, but on the Blog of Doom) feel silly now completely writing off Brock Lesnar's entire return because he lost to John Cena in his first match (which was the wrong result, yes, but not the nail in the coffin)?

Overall, really awesome show.  Great matches, clean finishes, and the right person won -- in my opinion -- every single match.  Awesome stuff.

10:29 - Just noticed that Lesnar swapped out his wrestling boots for some more appropriate fighting sneakers.  That's what I thought he should have done originally.  Huge improvement.

10:21 - Obviously, Brock Lesnar should win this match because it's the result that makes sense.  But I REALLY want him to win so that all of those Internet fans who have now written off Lesnar as somebody who is just returning to put over all of WWE's stars (because of one match, mind you) can look ridiculous.

10:07 - Fed Durst....reminding the world why he hasn't been relevant in a decade.

10:02 - So far we've seen the right winner in every single match.  Which leads me to be somewhat worried about the Lesnar/Triple H result.  Kudos for Cole for bringing up the fact that Punk hasn't main evented a show since December, by the way.  Overall, good booking, leading to a logical one-on-one rematch between Punk and Cena at Night of Champions.

9:46 - Incredibly awesome Bret Hart-inspired trunks that Punk is wearing.  Perfect fit to his typical Chicago-inspired attire.  This is up there with the Randy Savage ones.  But no new WWE Championship.  Maybe Night of Champions?

9:43 - Ugh, after a couple of weeks of reverting back to the black singlet, Big Show is sadly once again wearing that dreadful looking camouflage attire.

9:39 - My pals over at WrestleChat just revealed that Punk promised some special attire.  Now.  I'm.  Psyched.

9:37 - So the WWE Championship match is next (sorry Punk, apparently even being in a match against John Cena won't give you the last match of the night).  Here's the question:  Punk AGAIN teased the possibility of a new WWE Championship.  Do you think we see it tonight?

9:25 - I like Kofi and Truth's new gear.  It looks like a Superman theme (based on the logo no the rear of Truth's pants).  Going to wait to see a closer look at Kofi's.

9:16 - Why.  Does.  This.  Feud.  Have.  To.  Continue?

9:01 - I love that Alberto Del Rio has added black to his attire, but I hate that he changed the scarf to black as well.  That's one thing that should have remained white.  They built up the white scarf as being a sign of purity, wealth, and class.  One would surmise that a black scarf would represent the opposite.

Also, Lord I hope ADR doesn't win this.  And I hope this feud just ends.

8:57 - This abrupt CM Punk character shift is somebody irksome.  I mean, the guy was defending his title in a triple threat match just a couple of months ago and seemingly had no problem with it.  I have no rpoblem with him turning heel, or him becoming bitter, but it sorta came out of no where.  Also, that chinless beard is awful.

8:54 - Good to see Miz get a clean victory over somebody (other than Christian).  I enjoy the clean finishes thus far.  I wouldn't mind seeing an extended feud with Christian.  But if not that, how about giving Sin Cara a proper feud?

8:43 - I wasn't initially sold on Mysterio's Batman gear, but I'm ok with it.  Miz's hair is A BIT better, but I wish he would just go back to the faux hawk.  Looks like he has a new jacket, which don't match the color scheme of his trunks.

8:38 - Like I said, there's nobody on the roster more deserving of a major singles victory on a PPV than Daniel Bryan.  Correct winner, and again, no problem with the manner in which it happened.

8:37 - Can we all agree that there's no reason for Daniel Bryan to add the flying headbutt into his moveset?

8:30 - Kane's fighting style seems a little more Undertaker-esque than usual.

8:27 - Am I the only one who wishes Brock would grow back his crazy UFC beard?  Hey, new jacket for Daniel Bryan (speaking of crazy beards)!  Let's home D-Bry wins this one.  Nobody on the roster is more deserving of a big PPV win than Daniel Bryan.

8:22 - Really fun match and a great opener.  Also established the live audience as being a fun crowd.  I'm glad the match got time, and it was a little slower paced than I expected.  I had no problem with Jericho winning, since I thought Ziggler still looked very good.

What's up with the commercial during the PPV?

8:19 - I HATE when the announcers oversell what would otherwise be a completely believable finish.  It completely takes the suspense away when the person kicks out (since you're now expecting it).

8:07 - I posed this possibility on Monday, but I wondered if Jericho might return to long tights now that he's "Y2J" again.  Looks like that's not the case, but I do like the new gear he's wearing tonight.  By the way, with all of the reminders on Ziggler being Money in the Bank, my theory feels even stronger.

8:05 - Dolph Ziggler opening the show and not the (sigh) traditional World Heavyweight Championship match makes me think there's a chance he might cash in tonight.

8:01 - Color me shocked, they actually included the World Heavyweight Championship in the opening video for SummerSlam.  Of course that -- and the WWE Championship -- was quickly dealt with so that they could focus on Triple H and Brock.  I still hate how the focus is on this hypocritical "you do not talk about my family" nonsense, though.

7:43 - Hello friends!  I'm back (and exhausted) from a weekend camping (#SummerOfExcitement) and I WILL be ordering SummerSlam tonight.  My SOE entry (discussing the aforementioned camping) will be posted tomorrow.  Tonight, check back at 8 and follow my LIVE thoughts.

And Hell, the night got off with the right start with Santino FINALLY losing the United States Championship.  Thank.  The.  Lord.

No comments: