Thursday, August 2, 2012

Trending Topics - Why I don't like Tout - [a case of the summer]


In the interest of full disclosure, I will confess that I've never actually used Tout -- and I've only viewed a handful of videos.  But WWE seems to be pushing it REALLY hard (even harder than they did with Twitter), so I do feel obliged to voice why I don't like this particular social media service.

The thing that's great about Twitter (and, to a lesser extent, Facebook) is that it's extremely inconspicuous and it allows you to multitask.  For example, I can be watching Raw while also simultaneously reading what former writers, former wrestlers, and friends think of the show.  And I can do this without really missing what's happening on the television.  With Tout, on the other hand, I can only view one video at a time -- and doing so inherently takes away from what I'm watching.

Further, with only 15 seconds (or whatever it is) of length, there really isn't enough time to say anything significant.  Watching John Cena say "Watch Raw tonight, I'm going to do something with my briefcase" or AJ say "I had a lot of fun my first night as GM" just feels like a waste of time.  Personally, I'll be happy when WWE moves away from this particular craze.

Then again, I said a lot of this about Twitter when it first barged onto the scene.  So wait six months....I'll probably have a Tout account.

No comments: