Sunday, February 8, 2009

Addressing the mailbag

I'm emptying out the inbox with some interesting e-mails.

This first comes from long-time reader Larry, who discusses some points regarding the Heroes premiere:

Now, moving on to some issues that you wondered about that I think could be explained.

#1 Sylar surviving: It's not too hard for me to buy into the idea that the huge explosion and collapse could knock loose whatever was stuck into his head. Combine that with him not being able to be killed in general, because he got into Claire's brain while she was still (in theory) the one who was the key. As far as his hand acting as a gun, well, he's got so many powers now that he doesn't use it's almost silly. He can do the gun thing, he can melt stuff, he can turn stuff into gold, he can do the lightning thing, painting, and other stuff. I think he just likes the Telekinesis for the control it gives him (and the cheaper budget for fx of course)


Yeah, I agree that it's within the realm of possibility that the bullet could have been dislodged. I just think it was unnecessary to further diminish the "rules" regarding Claire's healing ability. At this point, there's really no consistency whatsoever. And as a result, I really don't feel any sort of urgency as it relates to anything life threatening happening to the characters that harness this ability.

I'm also convinced that the writers really have no set plan when it comes to giving Sylar any new abilities. Did that "Dead Zone" ability that they put so much emphasis on even play into last volume?

#2 Peter trying not to fall out of the plane. What I am thinking could be the case is that Peter's power now is limited to the last person that he touched, because once he touched Ali Larter, the guard starting kicking his butt, because he didn't have Mohinder's strength.


I actually think this is an awesome idea. I'm not completely convinced either way, since we haven't seen enough to determine if this is true, but that's a really interesting idea. But I do think that it's somewhat important to keep Peter as a formidable foe to Sylar.


#3 I don't necessarily think that HRG is working any sort of angle. He's shown himself to be fairly ruthless, especially when doing things for his family, and it is likely he decided to go along with this plot if Nathan agreed to let Claire be alone and help put her through college (seeing as I don't think he's got much else going on as far as a career goes, and with today's economy well...)

I don't know, I just feel like HRG is always "playing" the side he's apparently on. I also do honestly believe that Nathan would have protected Claire whether or not HRG was involved. I still think he's up to something.

#4 I thought it was hilarious the way that Parkman painted a couple minutes into the future, and the whole "What's that thing on your neck?" was funny too. I don't know if they're going to have him paint more significant stuff in the future, but if they keep his paintings in the short term, they can use it for dramatic or comedic effect.

They've got to be careful when it comes to the whole future thing. They're treading on thin ice here.

Now my biggest gripe: the idea of having those with powers hunted down by the government was a great idea...in X-Men. I'm sure the storyline will be compelling and well excecuted, but they definitely lose points for the lack of originality. There's one thing to do an homage, it's another to copy. We'll see what they do with the concept and what the result is.

Eh, I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to this. Honestly, the X-Men story arc wasn't exactly earth shattering either. The idea of people hunting down those that are different, and considering them a threat for that reason, is nothing new. It's a very basic story. It may not be completely original, but it's very organic for the show to broach this idea. I suggest we wait and see where it goes before accusing it of blatantly copying.


I am very intrigued as to the actual nature of Sylar's father, and curious as to how the capture squad knew he was going to be there. I also think it is a good plan to keep Sylar busy and away from the rest of the Heroes for now, just so that they don't have to stretch to figure out why he doesn't just kill people, as at this point, I would think that HRG and Angela would likely be killed by Sylar should he run into them again (of course, barring some big explanation).

I agree that it's a good idea to create some distance between Sylar and the rest of the cast. We've been seeing that confrontation for the past three years. Let Sylar go off on his own and allow his character to flesh out and grow. Just try to do it without essentially rewriting his entire character, like they did last season.

I know Hiro is obsessed with being a Hero, but really, what does he expect Ando to do to fight crime? He's basically got the power to be a super sidekick.

Hiro's character perfectly illustrates one of the severe problems with this show: None of the characters have really developed in the least. I do have high hopes about the reversed roles, with Hiro being powerless and Ando having abilities, though.

Now, onto some Lost business. This e-mail comes from PrimeTimePulse alum Andy Campbell:

I love your theory about Desmond & Penny being "Adam & Eve" and Charles Widmore being Penny's son rather than father. I think that's awesome.

As for Locke being Jacob, it's an interesting idea for sure, but I believe Jacob had a different color eye (brown) than Locke (blue). I wouldn't write off that theory completely, though.

You asked for thoughts on Richard Alpert, and here is mine: I think he is one of the ancient inhabitants of the island... from the days the ruins were made. The way it plays out in my mind is that, at some point, he takes off his shoes to reveal 4-toed feet... just like the statue... meaning that the statue was a colossus of Richard himself.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.


I can't take credit for the theory about Desmond and Penny being the island's Adam and Eve, and Charles Widmore actually being their son. And, I have to admit, I'm not completely sold on it either. I just find it interesting. I think the best way to make it work is to have them slyly reveal that Penny was adopted, hence avoiding having to explain how Widmore can be Penny's son AND father.

There are also a lot of complications with the Locke is Jacob theory, especially when this latest episode debunked the idea that the Oceanic survivors can't see their past/future selves. But I haven't completely given up on that theory yet, either.

I actually quite like that theory that the statue is some unfinished (or destroyed) relic made as a tribute to Alpert. And I can completely see the revelation that he only has four toes. To steal the show's own term, Alpert is a great "constant" throughout this time travel storyline. Almost a guide, of sorts.

I also find it curious that despite his seniority, he's the perpetual second in command, and seemingly never the leader.


Keep the e-mails coming, everybody.

No comments: