Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Just my luck

So this weekend was an odd combination of "good" luck, bad luck, good luck in a bad situation, and then downright bad luck again.


Friday was one of my co-workers' birthdays, so I decided to take my camera with me to work. While not completely unusual, it was out of the ordinary. Before leaving for my morning commute, I also made the last minute decision to grab a can of soda, as I was a bit drowsy. So as I passed through the kitchen to go to the basement, I look out the back door and see four deer walking through my yard. In addition to being a lovely sight, it was also completely unexpected. My house is no where near any words whatsoever. In fact, it's surrounded by three heavily trafficked and residential streets. So where the hell did these things come from?

Anyway, I hopped in the car and realized I needed to get some gas. So I drive to the local gas station. But as I pull into the lot, my car hits something, making a really loud sound. I check to make sure there's no damage. Thankfully, there's not. Except for the punctured wheel and completely flat tire. That was pretty crappy. But I suppose if you have to get a flat tire, a gas station isn't a bad place for it to happen. So they fixed it right there and then for me, and it only cost me 20 bucks. While they were doing this, I investigated what I hit. Turns out the entrance to the lot isn't a "real" entrance, where the curb neatly declines to a flat level. Instead, they just discontinued the curb at the sewer grate. And the edge of the grate is sticking out, which you can't see when heading in from the left side (which is what I did).

Fast forward to Saturday night. I'm supposed to head into Hoboken. Normally I would crash at my brother's place in the city, and just head into Hoboken from there. I wasn't really feeling that, though. Fortunately a friend of mine is living in Jersey again, so we were just going to take the train there. Except my friend fell off the face of the Earth, and may or may not be in Ireland right now (jury's still out on that one). Finally I decided I would just take the train myself. So I buy my ticket from the machine, but I only had 20's on me. So the damn thing gives me $14 in dollar coins as change. What in the blue hell am I supposed to do with that? Other than lose it?

Making matters worse, the damn train never showed up! Turns out the rail road is being repaired, so you have to take a bus to another train station, which will then take you to Hoboken. Well the event I was going only has a three hour open bar -- and I'd be missing the first two hours. In the end it just wasn't worth it. So I wasted six bucks on a ticket and was stuck with $14 in dollar coins.

How's that for luck?

No comments: