Monday, June 15, 2009

Quick fantasy warfare


So with the big 3-For-All edition of Raw coming up in less than 20 minutes, I thought I'd provide my thoughts on two of the show's bigger spectacles. The first is the four way match for the vacated WWE Championship. Before I reveal what I would do, can I just quickly talk about how much Batista's stock has plummeted since his injury back in 2006? He went from the company's centerpiece to a downright choke artist. He's the perpetual #1 contender, constantly coming up short in the big match, no matter how many opportunities he gets. And hell, his last two World title reigns have collectively lasted a week. Honestly, dude, retirement might not be a bad idea.

Anyway, the match features John Cena, Randy Orton, Triple H, and the Big Show. It might shock people, but I'm actually going to suggest that they give Big Show the nod here. The fact of the matter is, he's the most refreshing candidate. I'm actually a fan of Cena, but for the past few years he's almost constantly held a World Championship. Triple H's recent WWE Championship reign will probably be remembered as one of the least remarkable of this modern era. And I'm sorry, but I find Randy Orton absolutely beyond bland. In the ring, behind the mic, I just find him immensely boring. They've done a nice job of re-establishing Big Show as a legitimate threat over the past year or so. And against all odds, he was a stellar ECW Champion. And with the right opponents, he can have adequate matches (and it's not as if Orton or Batista were setting the world on fire).

I also don't detest the "Spinner" belt as much as most people, but I think it would be supremely beneficial to debut a brand new belt (or the Undisputed design) tonight. In my opinion, pretty much everything associated with the WWE Championship needs to be freshened up.

The next matter is the new General Manager of Raw. Scott Keith's blog has suggested Randy Savage, but I'm going to keep things a little more realistic. Here are some possible options:

Ric Flair - He's been itching to return to the big show, and he's been a recent fixture on Raw. That being said, he apparently turned down a similar role on Smackdown, so it seems like a long shot.

William Regal - If they want to keep things "in house," he's a logical option. He did well in his dual role of GM and wrestler a couple of years back.
Matt Striker - I can see him doing an exceptional job fulfilling this role, but it also means they'll have to reshuffle the announce teams once again.

Shawn Michaels - This seems like an adequate way for him to make his return without getting back in the ring. He served a similar role a few years back. That being said, I think it's a long shot.

Hulk Hogan - I'm sure he wouldn't mind bringing in the extra income, and it seems as if he's made peace with McMahon. Plus he's a big name.

Stephanie McMahon - Ugh, this is always a possibility.

Anyway, enjoy the show!

4 comments:

Kyle Litke said...

There's one key problem with the Big Show that you just said. "With the right opponents". Cena ain't it, as we can see by their recent matchups. Orton sure as hell isn't. HHH has never really done anything interesting with Show. Show's size limits his singles matches, in general, to "creative and entertaining" or "crap". The only person on the Raw roster I have any faith in to have a creative match with him is Michaels, and he's gone until whenever he feels like coming back.

I just think Raw is an absolute mess right now, and I don't know how they're going to get out of it. Orton has been made to look incredibly weak, HHH is old and stale, Cena's essentially had the same act for a long time now, and Big Show is in the wrong mix of top guys to give him a good match. Meanwhile Miz apparently is going to be made to look like more of a joke than a serious contender (how hard is it to have Miz sneak in, dump Cena, then get tossed by HHH in that battle royal? It wouldn't hurt Cena and would have made Miz look great...instead they have him look like an idiot), MVP isn't over as a face...total mess.

Matt Basilo said...

You bring up a fair point about Cena, Triple H, and Orton not being the "right" opponents for Big Show. If nothing else, I would hope that could be the motivator to place somebody else in the title picture. How about MVP? Or Kofi Kingston? And nobody does the big man vs. underdog better than Shawn Michaels.

You just can't possibly imagine how unmotivated I am to watch Raw next week. Orton as champion, again. Feuding with Triple H, again. I cannot express how little I care about their "personal issue."

It's odd. With ECW and Smackdown, they seem pretty open to just sit back and see what catches on with the fans. With Raw, they seem positively determined to stuff certain things down our throats. Is there anybody who prefers Raw as the superior brand right now?

Kyle Litke said...

Couldn't agree more. Raw bores the hell out of me at this point. It's just a bad mix of guys I think. Look at it this way...I actually don't even like Cena. I think he's stale, he lost the edge I liked about him, most of his mannerisms bother me to no end for no good reason, and while I do think he can and has put on some very good matches, some of his in match moves just bug me (the "flying shoulderblock"...I hate hate hate that).

So understand that when I say I want Cena to win the title and carry it for awhile, it's not because I even like Cena, it's because HHH bores me even more and Orton has been made to look so weak that I don't care about him at this point. At least Cena could probably have some semi interesting feuds with other guys, although considering how they ended the battle royal on Monday, it's clear they have no interest of making the Miz look like anything other than a joke.

What was even with that? I thought they were building him well then they make him look terrible. The right move to me would have been for Miz to sneak back in, toss Cena, get tossed immediately by HHH. It makes Miz look great by tossing Cena and coming THAT close, and it's not like that would have hurt Cena. It would have made their feud even more personal. Instead they throw all that out the window for a one off joke of "Miz charges and gets tossed by both HAHAHA AREN'T WE FUNNY?!?!"

The Raw writers are completely clueless at this point. I have no clue what they're doing. They've made their champion look incredibly weak, they made Cena's next opponent look like a joke...they're just lost.

I also hope I didn't come off as bashing Show, I'm actually a big fan. I think he's great in matches with more than two participants as they can really build up the fact that he's a monster. And I would love, love, love to see what Shawn Michaels can do with him because I think it'd be really entertaining. But it takes someone special to have a good match with him one on one, and I don't see the current crop of main eventers being it. Maybe MVP, I'm not familiar enough with him to say...probably not Kingston, I don't know if his offense would look good against Show.

Matt Basilo said...

I've been saying this for YEARS, but it's more true today than ever: Shawn Michaels would make the ideal champion for the Raw brand. The same excuse is constantly used -- he doesn't work house shows, and WWE wants their World Champion at house shows. Relatively speaking, Raw is pretty stacked with big names. They can't do a tour of Cena vs. Triple H to boost the numbers? Or have legitimate #1 contender's matches?

Michaels is THE most consistently over guy on any of the three rosters, and he's the absolute best they've got. Best wrestler, best mic man, he can do it all. And he has awesome matches with anybody. He also makes all of his opponents look like a million bucks, so they can do a feud with Michaels and, say, Matt Hardy or William Regal and it's believable.

He also hasn't had a "real" title run in over a decade, so Michaels as champion is a whole lot fresher than any of the other options.